General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Merchant ships sunk \\\'39-\\\'45 - where to f
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: January 19, 2001 12:46AM

<HTML>Hi Nathan,

The best book I have found on U.S. Merchant Ships lost during WWII is “A Careless Word… a Needless Sinking…” by Captain Arthur R. Moore. Library of Congress 82-73552. Published by the American Merchant Marine Museum at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point NY.

It has information on most all U.S. merchant ships sunk or damaged during WWII. It has a narrative description of the attack including date, time, exact location, who did it (which U-boat, mine, plane, etc.) how many were killed, wounded, etc. and what happened to the attacker. It also contains a picture of most of the ships. It is around 700 pages and has cross-references, tables, etc. It is also pretty current, having just been revised. This is the most respected book on the subject I have found so far.

There is a link to the info on how to purchase it on www.usmm.org at the bottom of their home page. It’s expensive. Mine cost about $90.00 including shipping, etc. I don’t believe you can get it through Amazon.com but try there first (via the link from this site) as uboat.net will get a commission on the sale if they have it.

Another good book is “U.S. Merchant Vessel War Casualties of World War II” by Robert M. Browning Jr. (ISBN 1-55750-087-8. Naval Institute Press). It is not as up-to-date as “A Careless Word” and it doesn’t have pictures, but it only cost $20 - $30. If you can’t get it through Amazon.com you should be able to get it through Barnes & Noble.

These books don’t contain crew lists or anything like that. Survivor’s names aren’t generally listed either. The events that occurred during an attack are usually pretty detailed though. “A Careless Word…” does have lists of persons killed and some survivors. It also contains the text of the citations for the Merchant Marine Distinguished Service Medals awarded during the war. It has a lot of other valuable info as well. The sources for Browning’s book are listed for each ship and are mostly from the National Archives, thus you can get the original documents from the National Archives (e-mail inquire@arch2.nara.gov) pretty easily (as I have) as you will know exactly what to ask for.

Both of the above books are used by the National Archives, the U.S. Maritime Administration, and other government agencies. Of course any book can contain an error.

The web site mentioned above \"www.usmm.org\" is an excellent site for the U.S. Merchant Marine side of the war. When you visit, be sure to see Captain Duffy’s link. Another good Merchant Marine site is [www.armed-guard.com]. You can find most of the photos from “A Careless Word…” there. In case you are not familiar with the “Armed Guard” they were the U.S. Navy gun crews stationed on U.S. merchant ships that were armed during the war.

I don’t know of any equivalent books or web sites for merchant ship losses of any other country. I hope if anyone else knows of any they will post them here. I have had a number of requests for that information and have not been able to come up with anything.

Regards,

Ken Dunn
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Merchant ships sunk \'39-\'45 - where to find? Nathan J. Bayreuther 01/18/2001 02:37PM
RE: Merchant ships sunk \\\'39-\\\'45 - where to f Willy 01/18/2001 04:18PM
RE: Merchant ships sunk \\\\\\\'39-\\\\\\\'45 - wh Jon C. Balson 01/18/2001 05:14PM
RE: Merchant ships sunk \'39-\'45 - wh Gudmundur Helgason 01/19/2001 09:30AM
RE: Merchant ships sunk 39-\'45 - wh kurt 01/18/2001 05:17PM
for Japanese merchant ships.. kurt 01/20/2001 03:12AM
RE: Merchant ships sunk \\\'39-\\\'45 - where to f Ken Dunn 01/19/2001 12:46AM
RE: Merchant ships sunk \\\\\\\'39-\\\\\\\'45 - wh Terry Andrews 01/19/2001 03:54AM
RE: Merchant ships sunk \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'39-\\\\\\\ Tore Setså 01/19/2001 06:09AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.