General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-505...finally
Posted by: Tom Iwanski ()
Date: October 10, 2003 09:05PM

<HTML>Hi all,

Well, I finally managed to visit U-505 this week. It was a very interesting tour. Unfortunately, the tour was guided by a curator with a memorized spiel and no enthusiasm for the topic. Nonetheless, I was able to hang behind and get some photos and look things over.

Some interesting things of note:

First, they had the Junkers diesel air compressor on its own display outside the boat. It was supposedly a unique "free piston" design. Can anyone eloborate on this disign and its operation? (I have a photo of a metal plate on the compressor that has operating instructions in German. Unfortunately, I don't read German very well)

Second, they cut large holes in the boat for ingress and egress. It was interesting to see that the pressure hull averaged about 1/2" thick. I was under the impression it was thinner. The outer hull was about 1/4" thick.

Third, they had one of the enigma machines retrieved from the boat on display. Instead of using an illuminated panel for displaying the output cipher, it used a printer. It printed out on a ribbon of paper, no doubt for the purpose of easing the operator's job and preventing possible transcription errors.

Fourth, they had several German torpedoes on display, one a cutaway of an electric. The torp fuse, although dimensionally accurate, looked to be a simple mockup, as the "wings" were welded. One interesting item on the torp I could not identify was on the aft section. It appeared to be a small looking glass that showed a two-color (red and blue, maybe?) wheel with what appeared to be degree hash marks. Above this was a small square ended stem that looked like a place where you could use a socket wrench to make adjustments that would be displayed on the wheel.

Finally, they had a cutaway "fido" on display as well. It had what appeared to be an adjustment ring back toward the motor. The ring was secured by a cotter pin and had increments of 25, 50 75, 100 and 125. I assume this was for depth? Any other ideas? I have photos but I can e-mail but no Web site to post them on.

Anyhow, the display is being shut down for refurbishing at the end of the year. I don't know how long the exhibit will be unavailable, but I got the impression it would be down for the year of 2004.

Regards,

Tom</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-505...finally Tom Iwanski 10/10/2003 09:05PM
Re: U-505...finally Ted Agar 10/10/2003 09:39PM
Re: Junkers Free Piston Diesel Compressor. Terry Andrews. 10/11/2003 08:18AM
Re: Junkers Free Piston Diesel Compressor. Rick Pacey 09/12/2020 04:45AM
Re: U-505...finally ROBERT M. 10/11/2003 04:56AM
Re: U-505...finally ROBERT M. 10/12/2003 02:51AM
Thanks for the replies Tom Iwanski 10/12/2003 07:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.