General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Dr. Rohwer
Date: February 18, 2001 12:19AM

<HTML>Geachte Fin:

You will be sorry that you purchased this book, because you will be unable to \"put it down\". It is not a narrative, but one of these things where one fact leads to another. You can follow U-123 along the Atlantic coast, or U-168 in the Indian Ocean and the Indies. All of the disasters, i.e. ATHENIA, DORCHESTER, etc. are precisely documented. Each U-boat skipper\'s successes are listed, and it goes on and on.

I first became aware of this book when an American author, who was in possession of the original German language version, asked me to assist in a translation. Well, my Dutch is far better than my German ever was, so I declined. That was in 1983. Not too long after that, the Naval Institute published an English language translation, which I purchased. It became, even though there are errors, my \"Bible\" of the Axis submarine attacks. No one who is interested in the German U-boat campaign should be without it.

I now have the 1999 edition. The \"dust jacket\" thereof states, \"Jurgen Rohwer served in the German navy between 1942 and 1945 and is a highly respected and internationally acclaimed naval historian.\" So, what duties he performed during those years remain eclipsed.

Tot schrijft.

George. </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Dr. Rohwer Fin Bonset 02/13/2001 01:13PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Torstein 02/13/2001 07:17PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Fin Bonset 02/15/2001 03:28PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer kpp 02/15/2001 06:49PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Capt. George W. Duffy 02/14/2001 01:11AM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Fin 02/15/2001 03:20PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Fin Bonset 02/15/2001 03:27PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer MPC 02/17/2001 10:47PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Capt. George W. Duffy 02/18/2001 12:19AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.