General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Dr. Rohwer
Posted by: Fin Bonset ()
Date: February 13, 2001 01:13PM

<HTML>Hi all,

As I am in the process of obtaining the wonderful book (Axis Submarine Successes of World War Two: German, Italian and Japanese Submarine Successes, 1939-1945) by Dr. Rohwer, I am looking for more info about the author. Below is something I have found and says that he was also in the Kriegsmarine. Does anyone know what he did and what his record was in the Kriegsmarine? I don\'t have the book yet and I don\'t know if there is any autobiographical info about Dr. Rohwer himself in there so I thought I would ask in here.

This is Internet info I was able to find:

Rohwer, Jurgen. Axis Submarine Successes of World War Two: German, Italian and Japanese Submarine Successes, 1939-1945. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1999.

ISBN 1-85367-340-4
366 pages
Preface; Explanatory Notes; Abbreviations and Symbols; Index of Submarines; Index of Commanding Officers; Index of Convoys; Index of Ships Attacked; Charts

Few subject areas in World War II are more studied than submarines in general and U-boats in particular, few have a better body of precise informational literature in print, and few authors are more knowledgeable in this area than Jurgen Rohwer. Dr. Rohwer, besides being a veteran of the Kriegsmarine, has since the end of the war accumulated a huge amount of data about the navies of all combatants. His associates includes many international experts and his research encompasses obscure archival material about submarine operations not available in English.

The original edition of this book was published in Germany in 1968 and the English edition in 1983. Since then it has been out of print and largely unavailable. Over the years the data in that edition has also been vastly updated by the opening of new sources not originally available to Dr. Rohwer. The new edition represents a coordinated international effort to bring together information from every nation and every navy, with archival sources for both the U-boats and their victims. This large and complicated task has been eased in part by compiling, arranging, and verifying the information in a relational database maintained by Thomas Weis of the Naval Archive of the Library of Contemporary History.

Attacks (not necessarily sinkings) compiled here were conducted by submarines of the German, Italian, Japanese, Romanian, Finnish, and Vichy navies all over the world. For presentation, the attacks are first divided into seven geographical areas:

Atlantic Ocean/North Sea
Northern Theater

Baltic Sea

Black Sea

Mediterranean Sea

Indian Ocean/South African Theater

Pacific Ocean

Within each geographical area, the attacks are listed in chronological sequence in tabular format. Each row lists one attack and is divided into fifteen columns:

Column 1: Date/time of beginning of attack, according to submarine.
Column 2: Nationality of submarine.

Column 3: Number of name of sub.

Column 4: Name of sub\'s skipper.

Column 5: Position of attack as reported by sub.

Column 6: Type of target, ranging from battleship to yacht, according to submarine; with estimated tonnage.

Column 7: Weapons used by sub: torpedoes, deck gun, ramming, etc.

Column 8: Code designation of Allied convoy attacked.

Column 9: Date/time of hit.

Column 10: Nationality of vessel attacked.

Column 11: Type of vessel attacked.

Column 12: Name of ship attacked.

Column 13: Actual tonnage of ship attacked, with symbol representing result of attack

Column 14: Position of the ship attacked, according to Allied records.

Column 15: Reference number for footnotes.

More than sixty nationalities are represented in the attacks and targets include more than thirty different kinds of warships as well as eighteen kinds of naval auxiliaries and nineteen categories of merchant ships. Several different attack results are indicated by symbols:

+ sunk
/ no success claimed (or dud)

= damaged

$ damaged, not repaired, total loss

A variety of other conventions are used, such as italics to visually distinguish warships from merchant vessels, parentheses for uncertain data, and so on.

This tabular format allows Dr. Rohwer to squeeze approximately 6000 attacks -- along with charts and extensive indices -- into under 400 pages. Here is a sample:

ATLANTIC OCEAN/NORTH SEA: OCTOBER 1939

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
14/0116 dt U 47 Prien AN 1610 BB: 29150+ T 14/0123 br BB Royal Oak 29150+ 58°55N/13°10W

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our August 1997 review of Dr. Rohwer\'s Allied Submarine Attacks of World War Two: European Theater of Operations, 1939-1945 concluded with lines equally applicable here:

\"Rohwer\'s new book is a strict and unadorned by fascinating database; more than that, it\'s a wonderful addition to the body of precisely quantified knowledge required to make informed judgments about submarine operations, the larger naval campaign, and the course of the war as a whole.\" Recommended.

Available from online booksellers, local bookshops, or directly from Naval Institute Press.

Thanks to NIP for providing this review copy.

Well, thanks in advance for any info!

My best to you all,

Fin Bonset

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Dr. Rohwer Fin Bonset 02/13/2001 01:13PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Torstein 02/13/2001 07:17PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Fin Bonset 02/15/2001 03:28PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer kpp 02/15/2001 06:49PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Capt. George W. Duffy 02/14/2001 01:11AM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Fin 02/15/2001 03:20PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Fin Bonset 02/15/2001 03:27PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer MPC 02/17/2001 10:47PM
RE: Dr. Rohwer Capt. George W. Duffy 02/18/2001 12:19AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.