General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
More Grave Robbing
Posted by: Fin Bonset ()
Date: February 27, 2001 06:43PM

<HTML>Hi everyone,

I found this in the latest news at www.feldgrau.com
Hopefully, the person who runs feldgrau does not mind that I posted this. I did quote the source above.

This is another grave robbing story (since the topic has been a hot issue lately).

Narvik, Norway - 09. February, 2001. News is just now being released that in June of 1999 Norwegian authorities raided the home of a local sport diver. He was found to have 180 relics stolen from the wrecks of numerous German ships sunk near Narvik in the far north of Norway during April of 1940. Included in these relics are 28 boxes of documents including large amounts of charts, maps and papers. Norwegian policeman Ulf Elstad has gone on record stating that the complete and untouched invasion plan for operation Weserübung (the invasion of Norway) is included in the materials taken from the divers home. Apparently the plan had been stored inside a safe aboard the sunken destroyer \"Anton Schmitt\" for more than 60 years. It is assumed that the documents hadn\'t been moved since the 6-7 April 1940 when they would likely have been locked away shortly before the German invasion fleet set sail for Norwegian waters. The director of the Norwegian Defense Museum states that it was never the intention to keep this finding a secret though some of the documents found apparently contained names of norwegian contacts which is likely the reason the story was not initially released to the public and was treated as sensitive. Until now the documents have been in the custody of the Defense Museum, but on notice from the police the 60 year old attack plan is to be shipped to the Norwegian National Archives for conservation and transcription.

Interesting no? Not too sure about whether or not the ship was scuttled or lost in battle. Therefore I\'m not sure it is a war grave but it appears to be something as the Norwegian government obviously outlawed diving on the wreck.

Best wishes,

Fin

P.S. Thanks Tonya for that prior post, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
More Grave Robbing Fin Bonset 02/27/2001 06:43PM
RE: More Grave Robbing - Fin John Griffiths 02/27/2001 07:34PM
RE: More Grave Robbing - address John Griffiths 02/27/2001 08:11PM
RE: More Grave Robbing - address Tormod Christiansen 02/27/2001 11:18PM
RE: More Grave Robbing - address Fin Bonset 02/28/2001 12:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.