General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: More Grave Robbing - Fin
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: February 27, 2001 07:34PM

<HTML>Fin,

I found this guys site ages back!

There were many photographs of the wrecks, with history of each vessel attached and photos of them in commission and on the sea bed. There was even one photo of the stern of one of the destroyers sticking out of the water....as she is today.

I am amazed - absolutely amazed - that this was grave robbing. The Norwegian site did not claim the wrecks were war gaves - which is either an oversight on the part of the diver or on the Norwegian government. Whatever, the relics recovered- which were on show - are historically interesting and maybe should haave been donated to a museum. I\'m not sure what the diver did with them.

I\'ll go and see if I can find the site again and, if I do, report back with the web address.

On a more personal note, I do not agree with wrecks being disturbed if the crew are still aboard. The dead should be allowed to rest in peace, whatever their nationality. The recovery of artefacts of historical value can be made - but only by prior permission of any surviving crew and the flag state of the ship. But in one operation - not piecemeal.

Aye,

John

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
More Grave Robbing Fin Bonset 02/27/2001 06:43PM
RE: More Grave Robbing - Fin John Griffiths 02/27/2001 07:34PM
RE: More Grave Robbing - address John Griffiths 02/27/2001 08:11PM
RE: More Grave Robbing - address Tormod Christiansen 02/27/2001 11:18PM
RE: More Grave Robbing - address Fin Bonset 02/28/2001 12:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.