General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Compensation
Date: July 20, 2005 03:12PM

Hello Captain GDW,

I just talked to my stepfather, 91, since 1933 till the end of war professional soldier with the army, about this.

He told me you had to have twelve years of service to qualify for life long allowance, in that the years of combat were counted double.

Just checked our Supreme Court cases to Art 131 and found one decision from 1953. The court did not elaborate as to when somebody was eligible for life long allowance in this ruling but declared that a ten year kind of waiting period for “younger” former civil servants, to give the governments, be the federal, state or local a chance to create a new, democratic civil service, before deciding what type of allowance for what period of time this person was eligible for, was consistent with the constitution. The Court had to deal with the problem also, that legally speaking, all civil service people alive were not employed by the various types of government after the capitulation anymore, because the Third Reich had ceased to exist as recognized subject of international law thus it had no more the legal position as an employer of his former civil servants. So what to do with these people who had find a new job as a civil servant in 1953; you can imagine this was a real legal mess.

But I want bother you with more of the legalese and have a nice day and to tell the honest truth I just don’t know what was decided in special cases.

Sincerely Yours
Volker Erich Kummrow

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Compensation Harry 07/19/2005 03:21AM
Re: Compensation Volker Erich Kummrow 07/20/2005 12:02PM
Re: Compensation Capt. George W. Duffy 07/20/2005 01:43PM
Re: Compensation Volker Erich Kummrow 07/20/2005 03:12PM
Re: Compensation joe brandt 07/23/2005 05:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.