General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Compensation
Posted by: joe brandt ()
Date: July 23, 2005 05:33PM

Yes , it does seem families were compensated some what for the loss of a family killed in combat .
I own several original documents from a crew member of the U-438 such as the letter to his parents that he was missing in the north Atlanik , a letter stating he was killed in the North Atlantik , his offical death certificate and a small letter from the Kommandierender Admiral der Unterseeboote Abfindungsabteilung u-Boote stating that his parents will receive 100RM Kapitulantenhandgeld for his service . If you like I could email you a copy of this document if you like .
I do believe that at least in the ubootwaffe some compensation was given , if you thing 100 RM is much compensation for the loss of a family member ! I do not know if this was true through out the other branches of the German military , or if was even done during the entire war time period . It took a whole year from the time that this crewmember died before his family received this document stating they will receive the 100 RM ! As the war went on and losses mounted I doubt Germany could afford to give out 100 RM to every family and the amount of paper work generated would have been huge from 1944 till the end of the war !

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Compensation Harry 07/19/2005 03:21AM
Re: Compensation Volker Erich Kummrow 07/20/2005 12:02PM
Re: Compensation Capt. George W. Duffy 07/20/2005 01:43PM
Re: Compensation Volker Erich Kummrow 07/20/2005 03:12PM
Re: Compensation joe brandt 07/23/2005 05:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.