General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: My my great Uncle.
Date: May 30, 2007 12:21PM

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

the photo shows a member of the navy in rank of at least Bootsmann, also called in these days as they are today. Portepee-Unteroffizier, see ranks for navy:

[www.deutschekriegsmarine.de]

[de.wikipedia.org]

Excerpt:
„Das Portepee (frz. porte-épée = Degentrage, Degengehenk) war ursprünglich eine um Griff und Bügel einer Hiebwaffe und das Handgelenk des Kämpfers geschlungene Schlaufe, die das Herabfallen der Waffe im Kampf verhindern sollte. Später entwickelte sich daraus ein Standesabzeichen für Offiziere und Feldwebel.
Bei der Bundeswehr werden noch heute die Feldwebeldienstgrade als Unteroffiziere mit Portepee bezeichnet. Gemeinsames äußeres Kennzeichen dieser Dienstgradgruppe ist eine Paspelierung aus einer altgoldenen Kordel am Uniformkragen des Dienstanzugs. In der Marine ist der Begriff "PO" oder "PUO" für die Bootsleute (Pl. zu Bootsmann) heute noch gebräuchlich.“
Translation:

Portepee (French, s.o.) = epee – hanger/loop of baton/dagger twined around the wrist to prevent these instruments form falling off during battle. Later on it developed into an insignia of Officers and Sergeants, e.g. the today German Feldwebel = E7 of US Army. In the German Bundeswehr these type of sergeants – ranks are called Unteroffiziere mit Portepee.

It should be added, that after WWII in the Bundeswehr such sergeants were not permitted anymore to carry a type of dagger as depicted on the photo and for this matter also the officers were not allowed anymore to carry their respective batons. Politics at that time in the mid fifties of the last century had it, that these soldiers were looking to much “militaristic”. On the other hand the Feldwebels were also called informally “Offiziertuer”, meaning that they qualified for performing jobs of Lieutenants, be that 2nd or 1st.

Appearance of portepée sergeants were to be recognized by their old gold string piping on the collar of their uniform. In the navy they still use to call Bootsleute (Pl of Bootsmann) PO or PUO, meaning portepée officers or portepée Unteroffiziere.

I believe our friends from France made fun about the German “le Feldwebel” in a famous movie, maybe Casablance?

Hope this helps

You all have a nice day.
Sincerely Yours
VEK

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
My my great Uncle. Kurt Rosenbaum 05/26/2007 01:33AM
Re: My my great Uncle. Ken Dunn 05/26/2007 03:24AM
Re: My my great Uncle. hubertus 05/26/2007 09:11AM
Re: My my great Uncle. Kurt Rosenbaum 05/28/2007 09:12AM
Re: My my great Uncle. hubertus 05/28/2007 10:50AM
Re: My my great Uncle. Forum Moderator 05/28/2007 02:27PM
Re: My my great Uncle. Kurt Rosenbaum 05/28/2007 10:40PM
Re: My my great Uncle. hubertus 05/29/2007 10:01AM
Re: My my great Uncle. Kurt Rosenbaum 06/02/2007 06:22AM
Re: My my great Uncle. Volker Erich Kummrow 05/30/2007 12:21PM
Re: My my great Uncle. Kurt Rosenbaum 06/02/2007 06:21AM
Re: My my great Uncle. Jean-Noël Muller 06/03/2007 07:16PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.