General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
German POW Graves in Kansas, USA
Posted by: Craig McLean ()
Date: July 01, 2007 11:20PM

Hello to all my old friends here! I am still around, and recently moved from my old place to a new location 100 miles away, but am still in Kansas, US!

Just a small update to news about the 14 German POW graves in Kansas, at Ft. Leavenworth Military Prison Cemetery. 7 of which are former U-boat Fahrers.

I was recently at Ft. Leavenworth with a friend and mentioned the cemetery, buried back in the hilly woods northwest of the major military prison there. He had never heard of it, and had asked others at the Fort about it, and they didn't know anything about it either. It had been perhaps 5 years since my last visit there, but I still found it despite there are no signs, and it is found only by traveling some very small winding roads.

My friend was very surprised, and interested to see this little-known historical spot.

It all looks exactly the same as my last visit, except besides the brief sign describing what it is (prisoners who died or who were executed at the prison, etc., to include a short note about the German POW graves on the last row), there is now a white, wooden information box/sign added...with a plexiglass window. Inside the window is a diagram of the graves with the names of those buried there. And there is also a notebook opened to a page that briefly describes the German POW graves on the back row.

I had no camera for taking photos, but this is a new addition, and at least indicates someone working at Ft. Leavenworth has understood the historical significance of this cemetery, and of the German military men buried there.

Best regards, Craig

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
German POW Graves in Kansas, USA Craig McLean 07/01/2007 11:20PM
Re: German POW Graves in Kansas, USA PF 08/02/2007 12:33AM
Re: German POW Graves in Kansas, USA Vidart 08/02/2007 02:02PM
Re: German POW Graves in Kansas, USA Denis Martin FTU 08/02/2007 04:32PM
Re: German POW Graves in Kansas, USA Fred morin 08/03/2007 12:27AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.