General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-boat officer awarded Knights Cross by Goering?
Date: September 15, 2007 04:34PM

Good afternoon to everybody !
It took me some time to find in my books some details about these facts.Source is a french book by Jean Noli, "Les Loups de l'Amiral".Sorry to say that it is not 100 % reliable, and I'm not sure it has been translated in english.
Noli reports that a KM officer, named Wolf Shafer, is the hero of this flak counter-attack when Göring's personal train was strafed by RAF and most of flak servants have been killed.There is no Wolf Shafer in KM crews lists, but I think that OLtzS Schaiper(known as Schäfer) Wolfgang,Crew 39/XII,may be the good one,he was IWO on U-269 from 08/42 up to 09/43.His CO, who disciplinated him, being KL Harlfinger.In any case, Schäfer is NOT listed as KC recipient , and I believe he was granted an Iron Cross and not a KC.In addition, Noli speaks of another KM officer, Baumein, supposed to be a crewmate, who is not listed as KM personal in corresponding files...I am not sure all this is really serious !
Have a nice week-end !

Jean-Noël

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat officer awarded Knights Cross by Goering? PF 09/08/2007 12:12PM
Re: U-boat officer awarded Knights Cross by Goering? Davenz 09/09/2007 06:18AM
Re: U-boat officer awarded Knights Cross by Goering? Jean-Noël Muller 09/15/2007 04:34PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.