General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens?
Posted by: JDCAVE ()
Date: January 02, 2008 09:44PM

On October 4, 1944, my father was sent to bomb the U-Boat Pens at Bergen. The weather was clear and sunny over the target that day and the bombing photo is quite sharp. I have compared this photo with Google Maps and have I have identified a prominence of land called "Nordnesparken" (North Park?) that seems a good match with a similar landmark on the bombing photo. The orientation is a bit different, thats all. What is more, I can identify trees, and roadways identified as Haugeveien, Strandgaten and C. Sundts gate. I can clearly see to buildings in the bombing photo near Haugeveien that are identifiable in the current satellite image as well! Also there is a large warf at the intersection of the streets called Bradbeken and Bontelabo. This looks to be currently a ferry warf. None of this area was hit by bombs.

The majority of the bombing appears to be the dock areas of what is currently called Laksvag Senter and Johan Berentsens vei. Does this make sense to anyone and does my identification of the current roadways in the area make sense? Much of the target area is obscured by smoke.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens? JDCAVE 01/02/2008 09:44PM
Re: Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens? antony field 01/25/2011 05:26PM
Re: Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens? Cape Crusader 01/25/2011 05:56PM
Re: Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens? Vidart 01/25/2011 10:13PM
Re: Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens? Vidart 01/26/2011 06:18AM
Re: Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens? Rod 01/27/2011 03:55PM
Re: Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens? Vidart 01/27/2011 06:20PM
Re: Location of the Bergen U-Boat Pens? David Wade 01/25/2012 08:10PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.