General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87?
Posted by: lars van ness ()
Date: April 20, 2009 07:56PM

I have been trying to follow this story with some curiosity ever since I heard a report on NPR last February. Not a lot available on the web regarding the wartime service of the S.S. Port Nicholson. But does this claim make any sense to any one? 10 tons of gold bullion, 70 tons of platinum and 1 ton of industrial diamonds loaded aboard a 25 yr. old tramp steamer barely capable of 15 knots. Gold that supposedly originated in the Soviet Union for payment of Lend Lease supplies was shipped across the Atlantic at the height Battle of the Atlantic in a top secret mission aboard this old freighter. First thing I ask my-self is why would this ship have been chosen when it was virtually guaranteed a 1 in 3 chance of being torpedoed at sea. Faster ocean liners were available and even if this mission had been posted in the Times of London a return cargo would have been virtually assured of a safe delivery aboard the S.S. Queen Mary for instance. Any one care to
comment on the validity of Sub Sea Research's claim?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87? csasch 01/25/2009 08:08PM
Re: Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87? Rainer 01/28/2009 08:34PM
Re: Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87? paul tjader 01/30/2009 10:27AM
Re: Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87? csasch 01/30/2009 07:17PM
Re: Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87? lars van ness 04/20/2009 09:34PM
Re: Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87? ROBERT M. 04/20/2009 10:57PM
Re: Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87? Fred morin 02/03/2009 06:16PM
Re: Treasure ship/ sunk by U 87? lars van ness 04/20/2009 07:56PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.