General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Help with sinking???
Posted by: Steve Wiper ()
Date: May 04, 2009 06:21AM

I have a US Coast Guard report of a sinking of a U-boat off of the Elizabeth City Coast Guard Air Station (North Carolina) on May 15, 1942, 36-10 Lat./74-55 Lon. This is the Cape Hatteras area. The report states lots of oil and wood spotted on the surface, and later an underwater explosion was witnessed. Oil continued to float to the surface for several days in this location. The reported sinking was by a US Coast Guard OS2U "Kingfisher" floatplane.

I have looked on this web site for sinkings on this date and there are none listed for the above date. So, I guess my question would be, is there a chance this U-boat fooled it's attackers and got away? Is there there a chance a U-boat was sunk here that is one of the unknown sinkings? If so, could anyone come up with a U-boat patrol report that mentioned this attack, or a U-boat that is missing and sinking was not known?

Thank you,
Steve Wiper

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Help with sinking??? Steve Wiper 05/04/2009 06:21AM
Re: Help with sinking??? Ken Dunn 05/04/2009 03:41PM
Re: Help with sinking??? Rainer 05/04/2009 05:21PM
Re: Help with sinking??? Steve Wiper 05/05/2009 04:10PM
Re: Help with sinking??? Steve Wiper 05/05/2009 04:14PM
Re: Help with sinking??? Jerry and Charla Mason 05/05/2009 12:10AM
Re: Help with sinking??? Douglas Campbell 06/28/2023 05:22PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.