General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Wolfgang Ott?
Posted by: lasker31 ()
Date: May 29, 2009 02:14PM

Thanks for that bit of information Robert. I got that bit off of Wikipedia which goes to show how much you can trust wikipedia. U-21 was operated by German sailors if that counts for anything. We worked with them for a couple days and I was very impressed although we only traded a couple officers for riders. I've also worked with South American type 209's, in particular the Chilean subs which were some of the best I've heard (actually not heard is a better way of saying it). They were also known for conducting fire drills with smoke grenades (of course this is second hand information). My main interest in U-boats is Das Boot which influenced my decision to go into the sub service. Plus I had a grandfather who was German (I grew up in Wisconsin). In some ways its like mountaineering, you have to respect the hardships undergone in their everyday life and to make matters even more amazing is that some if not many did not have a choice (their is always a choice but the alternatives I'm sure were barely considerable). I am in awe of the German U-Boat navy of WWII and for that matter all diesel submariners.

Robert, what did you think of "Sharks and Little Fish".

STS/SS3 1990-1996, qualified Sonar Supervisor in 95'.

USS La Jolla SSN-701 3months in 1992
[en.wikipedia.org])

USS Trepang SSN674 1992-1996
[en.wikipedia.org])

"USS Trepang performed peacetime operations with a German U Boat U-21 in 1992."
[en.wikipedia.org]

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Wolfgang Ott? lasker31 05/28/2009 12:36PM
Re: Wolfgang Ott? ROBERT M. 05/29/2009 06:35AM
Re: Wolfgang Ott? lasker31 05/29/2009 02:14PM
Re: Wolfgang Ott? ROBERT M. 05/30/2009 12:02AM
Re: Wolfgang Ott? Carl,Sweden 07/07/2009 06:23PM
Re: Wolfgang Ott? Steve Earl 03/10/2013 09:51PM
Re: Wolfgang Ott? Desertfan 01/14/2021 12:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.