General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-3008 - Its Final Years
Posted by: Derek Waller ()
Date: May 10, 2011 08:21AM

Dear All,

Further to my post on 24 April re U-3008, after a trawl of all available sources, including an extract from the daily log books at Portsmouth Navy Yard, I think that I have got the answer to my question.

My version of the story is now as follows:

"After arriving in Portsmouth Navy Yard on 11 June 1948, U-3008 was placed “out of service” on 18 June, and then used as a source of spares for U-2513. It was declared as “surplus to requirements” on 7 November 1950, but with the proviso that it should be preserved for explosive tests, a decision that was formally approved on 29 June 1951.

On 31 July 1951, U-3008 was towed from Portsmouth to Puerto Rico for tests of the new underwater explosive, HBX-3, under the control of the US Navy’s Bureau of Ordnance, Underwater Explosion Research Division.

A series of five demolition tests took place in Brewers’ Bay in St Thomas in the US Virgin Islands, with the first being on 22 May 1952, the second on 19 September 1953 and the last in June 1954. The final test left U-3008 so badly damaged that the CNO authorised it to be sold for scrap.

Thus, in mid-1954, U-3008 was raised in Brewers’ Bay and towed to the US Navy dry-dock at Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, where it was put up for sale.

It was sold to Loudes Iron & Metal Company on 15 September 1955, with Loudes taking possession of it on 17 January 1956 prior to scrapping".

Obviously, if anyone can possibly contribute any more to the story I should be most grateful. In particular, I hope that I have got all the dates right, but I suspect that they can only be fully cross-checked by viewing the original US Navy documents - which are somewhat elusive (at present).

I hope you may find this a useful addition to the history of this particular U-Boat.

Yours aye

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-3008 - Its Final Years Derek Waller 04/24/2011 10:38AM
Re: U-3008 - Its Final Years Derek Waller 05/10/2011 08:21AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.