General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Small Calibre guns penetrating pressure hull?
Posted by: Simon D ()
Date: April 27, 2011 10:56AM

I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if it was possible for machine gun fire from say .303 or .50 calibre machine guns, or even 20mm cannon to penetrate a U-boats pressure hull or put a large enough hole into the conning tower to restrict the U-boat from diving.

People in conversation and other web forums have often given me the impression that U-boat hulls are extremely fragile, and just one hit from a heavy machine gun or cannon armed aircraft or small patrol boat could spell disaster.

However I have only been able to find evidence of the 57mm cannon armed mosquito Tse Tse being able to cause serious damage to a U-boat by gunfire alone, and I would think the 57mm cannon is a considerably more powerful weapon then the gun armament usually carried by aircraft.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this and some examples if possible.

I'm sorry if this topic has come up before but I really couldn't find much relating to it, and I would like some examples if possible.

Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Small Calibre guns penetrating pressure hull? Simon D 04/27/2011 10:56AM
Re: Small Calibre guns penetrating pressure hull? ThomasHorton 04/27/2011 02:14PM
Re: Small Calibre guns penetrating pressure hull? Ken Dunn 04/27/2011 04:14PM
Re: Small Calibre guns penetrating pressure hull? Simon D 04/27/2011 10:49PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.