General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-Boats in the Royal Navy post-May 1945
Posted by: Derek Waller ()
Date: August 16, 2011 02:20PM

Dear All,

For the past 6 months I have been researching the topic of the U-Boats in the Royal Navy after May 1945, and it has turned out to be a fascinating story. Operation Deadlight obviously took centre stage, as did the activities at Loch Ryan and Lisahally. But there was much more to it than that, not only the assembly of most of the surrendered U-Boats in the UK, but also the publicity tours, the formal First of Class trials, the use of the German POWs, and the somewhat tense relationship with the Russians.

Using many original source documents from the Public Record Office and elsewhere, and with help from the Royal Navy Submarine Museum at Gosport, I have therefore written a paper which is titled "U-Boats in the Royal Navy post-May 1945". It starts with the first surrenders in early May 45 and finishes with the scrapping of the last 7 RN U-Boats, including HMS Meteorite (U-1407), in late 1949 and early 1950.

This comprehensive paper, which has just been published on “uboat.net”, as well as on the website of the Barrow Submariners Association, describes the story of the U-Boats in the Royal Navy in a way that has never been attempted before and is, I believe, well worth a read. It may nevertheless still contain some errors and omissions, so if anyone knows anything more about this piece of Royal Naval history, then please let me know before all memories are lost.

Yours aye

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boats in the Royal Navy post-May 1945 Derek Waller 08/16/2011 02:20PM
Re: U-Boats in the Royal Navy post-May 1945 Volker Erich Kummrow 08/17/2011 09:29AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.