General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: ID of Sinking ship?
Posted by: BHenderson ()
Date: May 15, 2012 12:54PM

In the discussion on uboatwaffe.net, there is some talk about these two photographs (the pair originally linked by PF) being two different ships. I do not think that this is likely at all -- there is a rounded structure (bridge area??) in front of the funnel that is unusual and it's the same on both; the funnel and twin masts are identical. What makes me quite sure it's the same ship is the detail of the small masts/cranes/hoists on the foredeck with a pair of tall, slender ventilator pipes; I don't know if these are common but the detail of them are the same on both photos and match perfectly the detail shown on the uboat.net photo of Polyphemus on that ship's page. I do agree that the ship shown in the U-108 photos linked by Akerberg is not the same ship.
What I do find baffling is the written inscription on the back of one of the photos, as originally linked. It appears to me that it states "mv Amerika" and my first thought was that that may refer to the ship name. But photos on uboat.net show a ship named "Amerika" and it's a large ship with what looks like a passenger carrying upper structure and two squat funnels; obviously not the ship in the photos. Also, there was a Swedish ship named "Amerikaland" but it was an ore carrier and configured much like a tanker with a rear raised structure and the funnel on that aft structure. So, if I'm correct that the handwriting on the back of the photo refers to "Amerika", it is not in reference to either of the ships shown on uboat.net. (I suppose that there is some chance that the photos on uboat.net on the "Individual Allied Ship" page have been somehow mistakenly attributed but that seems unlikely; "Amerika" and "Amerikaland" are both listed as large ships and their accompanying photos show large, rather complicated, ships.) And the ships shown bear no resemblance to PF's linked photos. (If my almost-half-century old college German is too rusty to be relied on to decypher the German script, I apologize.)
But again, the detail of the small masts/cranes and ventilators (along with the arc-top bridge and the twin cruciform masts) on the two photos are such a good match for "Polyphemus" that that appears certain to me. The Polyphemus page states that 60 crewmen abandoned ship (15 were killed in the torpedo blasts), so the lifeboat in the photo fits. Also, the first officer of the Polyphemus gave the name of the ship to the captain of U-578, so if a crewman of a U-boat wrote on the back of a photo the name of the ship should be correctly attibuted.

If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
ID of Sinking ship? PF 05/02/2012 02:46PM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? Mark McShane 05/02/2012 04:12PM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? Rainer 05/05/2012 11:08AM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? PF 05/14/2012 10:19PM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? BHenderson 05/15/2012 12:54PM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? barinasboy 05/15/2012 02:00PM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? BHenderson 05/15/2012 04:52PM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? jcrt 07/09/2012 05:44PM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? vito 07/10/2012 07:27AM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? jcrt 07/10/2012 10:13AM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? vito 07/10/2012 10:30AM
Re: ID of Sinking ship? Siri 05/26/2012 10:57AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.