General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe
Posted by: tonyingesson ()
Date: October 29, 2012 08:28AM

Thank for your comment. Naturally, any generalization has its limits but since I'm not a historian, they are nevertheless a common entry point into what I consider to be my key objective: theory development. While you are of course correct in pointing out that a gross number cannot hope to achieve complete accuracy, I only need a gross number that is sufficiently accurate to permit comparative studies. Thus, if the gross estimate deviates from the actual number even as much as +/- 10% it still would not have a major impact on the general assumption, which is that there is a significant difference that cannot be entirely attributed to the torpedoes or TDC equipment.

However, the torpedo stats are not the main point and I will probably downplay that aspect in the future. What I consider to be most interesting are the 38 American captains who were relieved of command. I haven't yet gone through all the war patrol reports, but they seem to indicate a general pattern of exaggerated caution. Since torpedo shots, submergence, etc. is logged in each war patrol report, the impact of sea states, the TDC and such can be controlled for.

The generalization I want to make is quite modest (at least I think so); i.e. that a significant part (large enough to warrant further investigation) of the difference in both performance and risk-taking behavior between the US Navy and the Ubootwaffe can be attributed to organizational factors. The main component of my work is dedicated to studying these organizational factors qualitatively, so the comparative work with the statistics is merely intended to give a somewhat rough picture of the underlying assumptions.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 09/04/2012 02:22PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 09/04/2012 02:24PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe lcdrusnret 10/28/2012 03:00PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 10/29/2012 08:28AM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe Volker Erich Kummrow 10/29/2012 11:21AM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 10/29/2012 12:11PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe lcdrusnret 10/29/2012 02:48PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe Volker Erich Kummrow 10/30/2012 02:17PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 10/30/2012 02:33PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe Volker Erich Kummrow 10/30/2012 03:09PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe lcdrusnret 10/29/2012 03:06PM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe lcdrusnret 10/30/2012 02:59AM
Re: Running comparative numbers USN/Ubootwaffe tonyingesson 10/30/2012 08:55AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.