General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Sinking of Italian submarine "Morosini"
Posted by: LColombo ()
Date: January 20, 2014 07:42PM

Hello everyone.
On 2 June 1942 the submarine "Morosini" left the Italian base of Betasom in Bordeaux for a patrol off Puerto Rico/San Salvador, during which she sank the Dutch MV "Tysa". On 27.11.1942 "Morosini" refuelled from the Italian submarine "Finzi"; on 8.8.1942 she (due to reach Betasom around 14.15 on 10 August) sent her last message to Betasom (saying they had received Betasom orders about the routes to be followed during the approach to Bordeaux) and then she was never heard from again (at 23 hrs on 9 August Betasom sent another message to the boat, but there was no reply). Somewhere I have found that the "Morosini" may have been sunk in a night attack by a radar-equipped plane; elsewhere, than at 16.15 on 11.8.1942 an aircraft dropped four depth charges to a submarine sailing on the surface, which was immediately seen to submerge (or sink).
I have found that on Internet there are photos taken to the "Morosini" being sunk, I guess in the 11.8.1942 attack, because they are photos of a daytime attack against a surfaced submarine which then goes underwater (submerging, or sinking, or sinking while trying to submerge? It seems to me that she was hit by the bombes and sank by the stern)? Here they are: [www.betasom.it].

Does anybody know more about these two attacks and the sinking of the "Morosini", i.e. planes involved, pilots, Squadrons to which they belonged, any detail about the action?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Sinking of Italian submarine "Morosini" LColombo 01/20/2014 07:42PM
Re: Sinking of Italian submarine "Morosini" Platon Alexiades 01/22/2014 09:47PM
Re: Sinking of Italian submarine "Morosini" LColombo 01/23/2014 09:40AM
Re: Sinking of Italian submarine "Morosini" LColombo 01/23/2014 10:24AM
Re: Sinking of Italian submarine "Morosini" Platon Alexiades 01/23/2014 02:31PM
Re: Sinking of Italian submarine "Morosini" Rainer 01/23/2014 08:35PM
Re: Sinking of Italian submarine "Morosini" Platon Alexiades 01/23/2014 09:35PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.