General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Did USS Drayton sink a sub on Dec. 24, 1941?
Posted by: t-geronimo ()
Date: March 04, 2017 01:00AM

Hi!

A report from one side sinking a ship/submarine from the other side does not automatically mean that it really happened.

There are several reasons why there are dozens, if not hundreds of reports like this in WW2 (including the European Theater of War):
misinterpreted bubbles on the surface, releasing of some oil from the sub to make the chaser think the sub is sunk or whatever.

I have not checked all sources of Japanese submarine losses but I hope you have.
So if no loss is reported for that date then I guess that one of the above mentioned incidents happened.
And three weeks after the 'Day of Infamy' (attack on Pearl Harbor) for me it is not hard to understand that a report of a whatever small victory it was (and therefore highly appreciated and accepted without further investigation) lead to a decoration at once.
And this without a sense of betraying or something like that but just to boost morale within the public and within the troops and in a spirit of thinking that it really happened.

--

Best regards
Thorsten Reich

www.Forum-Marinearchiv.de
www.Historisches-Marinearchiv.de

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Did USS Drayton sink a sub on Dec. 24, 1941? ClintJohnson 03/03/2017 07:39PM
Re: Did USS Drayton sink a sub on Dec. 24, 1941? t-geronimo 03/04/2017 01:00AM
Re: Did USS Drayton sink a sub on Dec. 24, 1941? ClintJohnson 03/04/2017 02:23AM
Re: Did USS Drayton sink a sub on Dec. 24, 1941? Rainer 03/04/2017 10:39AM
Re: Did USS Drayton sink a sub on Dec. 24, 1941? ClintJohnson 03/04/2017 12:00PM
Re: Did USS Drayton sink a sub on Dec. 24, 1941? tf 03/18/2017 02:19AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.