General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Loss of U-534 on 5 May 1945
Posted by: Metman ()
Date: March 11, 2019 02:27PM

Thank you, John, and I must also apologise, as late yesterday evening, using a reference quoted by the Wiki story, I found a German account of the action. Unfortunately, I delayed posting the link until this morning - by which time you had responded.

If I've translated the link correctly (http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/Bilderseiten/UBoote/U534.htm) U-534 was berthed at Helsingor when the ceasefire was ordered by Großadmiral Dönitz at 08 hours German time on 5 May. For some unknown reason U-534 subsequently left port, sailing northward.

This version describes the U-boat being in company with three others and subsequently being attacked by four aircraft. This is not correct; according to the Operations Record Book of 86 Squadron only two aircraft were involved, one from 86 Squadron (obviously) and the other from 547 Squadron - the aircraft that was shot down - and three U-boats in total. (http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8454994).

The 547 Squadron aircraft attacked U-534 twice, being shot down on the second pass. The 86 Squadron aircraft commenced its attack at 1339 hours UK time, crippling the U-boat on its second pass at a position of 56,45N 11.52E.

According to the German version of events the attack was unexpected because of the ceasefire, and the guns were only manned once the intention of the aircraft became clear.

In fact the aircraft (and RAF) would have been unaware of Dönitz's order as they had left their airfields before it became widely known. In hindsight Why the U-534 left port after the order was received only confuses the issue. One would imagine the safest course of action was to remain at anchor.

I'm more than happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood the German account.

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Loss of U-534 on 5 May 1945 Metman 03/10/2019 02:03PM
Re: Loss of U-534 on 5 May 1945 jcrt 03/11/2019 09:15AM
Re: Loss of U-534 on 5 May 1945 Metman 03/11/2019 02:27PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.