General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Help with battle flag.Genuine or fake?
Posted by: chris Lee ()
Date: August 27, 2001 04:23AM

<HTML>I have recently been offered a German battle flag, that came from a surrended U Boat in Hamburg at the end of the war..( or so the story goes..)
It appears to be made from artificial silk, and I have been told that this was produced by the Germans, for use in many things except parachutes. Is this true?

the flag is approx 5x4, and appears to have the correct markings. It also has two ink type stamps from I asssume the manufacturer, on the left hand side. Two Brass eyelets complete the job. The extreme right hand side had a black binding, which I presume is to stop fraying.

As I have never seen a U Boat standard except in photos I am at a loss to judge this to be genuine, although it has every indication of being so. Any one got any ideas? I know there is plenty of Fakes out there, and plenty of reproductions, so this buyer is aware. Confirmation of the material type would go a long way to validating it.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Help with battle flag.Genuine or fake? chris Lee 08/27/2001 04:23AM
RE: Help with battle flag.Genuine or fake? Takeo 08/27/2001 05:12AM
RE: Help with battle flag.Genuine or fake? joe brandt 08/27/2001 08:39PM
RE: Help with battle flag.Genuine or fake? chris lee 08/28/2001 12:03AM

Your post is inappropriate for our forums. Please forward it to forum@uboat.net and they will be glad to help you with it.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.