General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Hello Friends
Posted by: Fin Bonset ()
Date: August 28, 2001 11:26AM

<HTML>Hello Friends!

Thought I would come on in and say hello :-) It\'s been a while but I can\'t help it. Life is just too busy at the moment, but I do not forget about my friends in here and try to come back every once in a while. I do check the postings and debates from time to time and remain somewhat informed, also thanks to your e-mails (MPC, John, Ralph, Joe, etc, etc.). The discussions have been very interesting, apart from some parasites that have nothing better to do, i.e. Mr. \"Oliver\".

Well, I have been reading a lot to relax and always learn more. I recently read the Dutch book \"Stuifzeetjes over P322\" which includes the account of how the Dutch submarine \"Zwaardvisch\" sinks U-168 with Kptlt. Helmut Pich. Now, in the books section review on this site, it says the account inlcudes the capture of Pich and some of his surviving crew. This is not so, the account is interesting but not detailed and does not directly mention the caption or interaction with prisoners/survivors. It is somehow implied, but not clear. The whole book is a pleasure to read and I wish there was an English translation. All in all I learned that the submariners of the day, no matter what their nationality, experienced the exact same things. From depth charges to endless waiting, from being tired and cold to not knowing when the next destroyer will find you. The sotries are the same. The account is written in a more proper sense and is not as dramaticly written as some of the German accounts, but that is what makes it interesting as well. It was written in old Dutch, sort of like you have Old English spelling and grammar. I highly recommend reading this book to anyone who speaks Dutch. All in all, the account with the U-168, which the Dutch submariners were referring to as \"U-Pich\" because of its commander, was quick and to the point as the Zwaardvisch took a quick shot and no particular mention of the surviving crew was made.

Thought I would share that with you guys. Bram, if you\'re reading this, let me know if you\'re still interested in a more expanded review of the book for your website. I can also review \"De Kat met Negen Levens\". Hence, Tonya, I still owe you my reviews and will resume work on them, I promise.

To all of you guys, thanks again for all the e-mails and well wishes. Good to see you guys are keeping things in check and I\'m enjoying the posts of all the newer members. Glad to know that there are more people interested in this great subject.

Best regards,

Fin Bonset

P.S. John G. That reply to that \"kid\" was the funniest thing I\'ve read in a long time. I\'ve got to give it you chaps for having such wits. Well said! MPC, likewise, hope all is well with the fam. By the way, for those interested, Ralph is doing great and is slowly recovering. </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Hello Friends Fin Bonset 08/28/2001 11:26AM
RE: Hello Friends, Spelling! Fin Bonset 08/28/2001 11:29AM
RE: We try! John Griffiths 08/28/2001 02:24PM
RE: Hello Friends Torlef 08/28/2001 03:48PM
RE: errrr the Name rings a bell MPC 08/28/2001 05:12PM
RE: errrr the Name rings a bell Ted Agar 08/28/2001 10:06PM
RE: Well it got you surfaced... MPC 08/29/2001 01:35PM
RE: Hello Fin Joe Brennan 08/29/2001 04:57AM
RE: Hello Fin William Engel 08/29/2001 05:18AM
RE: Hello Friends - Stealth Question Fin Bonset 08/29/2001 01:04PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.