Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Cast in Das Boot
Posted by: Richard Hudson ()
Date: March 12, 2002 12:03AM

<HTML>Greetings all,
If I may, I'd like to add a comment or two in support of Mr Chrysafidou's comments, please. In merchant navy equivalences, the IIW is the second mate (Officer). In my MN days, the only Officer signed on as such in the MN was the Radio Officer. The Captain signed on as Master, the First (or Chief) Officer signed on as Ist mate, etc. The Chief Engineer signed on as Chief Engineer, the Second as Second Engineer, etc. Other than keeping the 12 to 4 watch at sea, the 2nd Mate at sea was responsible for taking noon-sights and the "stars" etc and plotting the ships course and speed as the Captain so required. In Uboats the navigation was done by a non-commissioned man. It seems from Das Boot that the IW was responsible for taking all stores and armaments. I get the impression that the IIW was responsible for bridge watchkeeping and signals, codes and their transmission,etc. I also think that he was the understudy for the UBoats' IW. It is worthwhile noting that while possibly of the rank of Lt, skippers of a UBoat were not necessarily of the rank of Captain to be called "Captain", ie, Captain-Lieutenant.
I welcome correction to anything that I have said. Like yourselves, I am only a learner here, too, and I wish everybody well. : ) Richard Hudson Qld Australia</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Cast in Das Boot Justin Ove 01/22/2002 12:59AM
Re: Cast in Das Boot Steve Roberts 01/22/2002 11:58AM
Re: Cast in Das Boot MCE 01/23/2002 11:09PM
Re: Cast in Das Boot Steve Roberts 01/24/2002 11:30AM
Re: Cast in Das Boot George Parastatidis 01/23/2002 11:03PM
Re: Cast in Das Boot Io Chrysafidou 01/24/2002 09:18PM
Re: Cast in Das Boot Saskia 01/31/2002 10:53PM
Re: Cast in Das Boot Dave Townsend 02/09/2002 12:44AM
Re: Cast in Das Boot Richard Hudson 03/12/2002 12:03AM
Re: Cast in Das Boot Dave Townsend 02/09/2002 12:40AM
Re: Cast in Das Boot Saskia 02/11/2002 10:53PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.