Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: DAS BOOT , TV series on DVD
Posted by: FUBAR ()
Date: July 14, 2002 06:44PM

<HTML>Matt,

As to your comment that this is greatest movie ever made, you may find that you will have a wide difference of opinion. With that said, I do agree that this is the best WWII movie made in regard to submarines and that genre.

You are fortunate to have a copy of the 6 hour TV series. I for one have never seen it. I do hold two copies of the original film release on VHS in German with English subtitles and a English dubbed version. I also have a copy of the Directors Cut on DVD. I prize all of these.

With a 6 hour film feature I would suspect that character developement would be more in depth and variance in the subplot would occur. However, you must take into consideration some of the following points in film making.

If a scene is to be omited, the director and editor must take into consideration if the scene if front and back can support each other without it. Also, does the scene really add to the story line. Another question to be asked is, does the scene slow down the pace of the film.

Film run length must also be considered. It is hard to ask a veiwer to sit through 6 hours of a film in a theater with excess scenes which to not really add to the film itself. It is different when the veiwer is at home in a more confortable surrounding and the film plays over the course of several days at a hour or two at a time. I believe that the film was originally made for television and adapted to the big screen. Therefore a shorter running time. There have been sucessful films that were exceeding long and worked very well. "Gone With the Wind" is a prime example.

I think the Director did a excellent job on the original release. The film can stand alone just the way it was relaesed and nothing is lost. The DC goes a little further in flushing the characters and the story. In my thinking this is a good test of a excellent film.

I for one, would like to see Das Boot released as a 6 hour series. The powers that be must decided if it would be a worthwhile & profitable venture.

My $.02 cents worth. Thanks for a interest post.

Best Regards,
FUBAR</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
DAS BOOT , TV series on DVD Matt 07/14/2002 05:19PM
Re: DAS BOOT , TV series on DVD FUBAR 07/14/2002 06:44PM
Re: DAS BOOT , TV series on DVD Marine Helferin 07/14/2002 11:27PM
Re: DAS BOOT , TV series on DVD Matt 07/15/2002 08:47AM
Re: DAS BOOT , TV series on DVD Marine Helferin 07/15/2002 01:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.