Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: " Das Boot"-actual footage of war
Posted by: cate ()
Date: June 05, 2003 04:12PM

<HTML>hello Michael

I'm not sure if i'm following you correctly, but it sounds to me like you are muddling up the appearance of the real U-96 captain Heinrich Lehmann Willenbrock, whose photograph is on the uboat.net commanders webpage, with the actor Martin Semmelrogge who played the II Watchoffizier in the movie - the only 'goofy' guy I can think of who tells the correspondent what is happening. They do perhaps look a little alike in some shots.

The 'producer' you refer to in the photograph from the set is in fact that real captain Willenbrock, forty years later when the movie Das Boot (not a documentary) was filmed. If you compare the two photographs you will see he is still recognisably the same man though many years older. The two men in uniform are the actors Jürgen Prochnow who played the fictionalised captain of the U-96, referred to as Der Alte and not given a name, and in the background Herbert Gronemeyer who played the correspondent, and who now 20 yrs after the film was made has gone on to be a successful pop musician.

As for the photograph, I don't think it is fair to call it fake as such - 'posed' maybe, though there is a lot of standing around waiting on film sets which might equally account for the shot:-)

if i have misunderstood your point I apologise, please tell me - it is very interesting always to find a new perspective on the film.

Regards

Cate</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
&quot; Das Boot&quot;-actual footage of war Michael 06/05/2003 03:01PM
Re: &quot; Das Boot&quot;-actual footage of war cate 06/05/2003 04:12PM
Re: &quot; Das Boot&quot;-actual footage of war cate 06/05/2003 04:26PM
Re: &quot; Das Boot&quot;-actual footage of war Michael 06/06/2003 04:17AM
Re: &quot; Das Boot&quot;-actual footage of war cate 06/06/2003 05:15AM
Re: &quot; Das Boot&quot;-actual footage of war ROBERT M. 06/07/2003 01:08AM
a bridge to reality too far cate 06/07/2003 08:33AM
Re: a bridge to reality too far ROBERT M. 06/07/2003 02:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.