Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Buchheim
Posted by: Dave Prucha ()
Date: July 04, 2003 06:59PM

<HTML>Greetings:

It's my understanding that Buchheim's book, Das Boot, was drawn primarily (and somewhat loosely) on his experiences as a correspondent on patrol with U96 from Oct 27 - Dec 6 1941, which resulted in one post-war confirmed sinking and an aborted attempt to enter the Mediterranean.

Jordan Vause mentions in Wolf (Chapter 7, Fighting for an Image) that Buccheim also accompanied two other patrols, one more with U96 and another with an unnamed boat. Does anyone know the dates of his second patrol with U96 (would it have been their next, or eighth patrol?), and the boat and dates of his third patrol?

Also, I am interested in hearing your opinions in the subject Vause examines in the aforementioned chapter, namely the contentious relationship between Buchheim and Karl-Friedrich Merten, and the disdain with which he was or is regarded by several U-boat veterans. While many it seems took exception to his portrayal of officers and crew in terms of attitude and behavior, he seems to have had support as well, from no less than Topp, and one would guess from Lehmann-Willenbrock as well, as from what I surmise they continued their relationship after the war.

Thanks,
Dave Prucha
Omaha NE USA</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Buchheim Dave Prucha 07/04/2003 06:59PM
Re: Buchheim Meg Rosenfeld 07/05/2003 01:14AM
Re: Buchheim Dave Prucha 07/05/2003 05:42PM
Re: Buchheim Meg Rosenfeld 07/06/2003 01:47AM
Re: Buchheim Bill Forsythe 07/08/2003 11:23AM
Re: Buchheim Meg Rosenfeld 07/08/2003 01:17PM
Re: Buchheim Meg Rosenfeld 07/06/2003 01:50AM
Re: Buchheim Dave Prucha 08/07/2003 12:54AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.