Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Buchheim
Posted by: Meg Rosenfeld ()
Date: July 05, 2003 01:14AM

<HTML>Hello Dave,

When Buchheim went out with Kapitaenleutnant Lehmann-Willenbrock in 1941, the voyage actually counted as two patrols, because they stopped to refuel and pick up provisions from the "Weser" (actually called the Bessel) in Vigo. So, from Vigo to the Gibraltar near-disaster and back to port in occupied France, counted as his second patrol

In July 1944, Buchheim was sent out from Brest by Lehmann-Willenbrock, then serving as Flotillenchef, on a patched-up U-Boot of the "Schnorchel" variety, under the command of Obertleutnant Hans-Gerd Mahrholz. This patrol is described in Buchheim's novel Die Festung; he calls the commander "Mohrhoff." I blush deeply to admit that I can't remember the number of the boat, but you can easily find it on this very site, whereas I don't know how to do the research without losing this page. eye rolling smiley Anyway, they went (against all odds) safely down the coast to La Pallice. The purpose of the voyage was merely to get the hell out of Brest before the Amis busted in. Actually, there was enough time that Lehmann-Willenbrock managed to get yet another supposedly kaputt U-Boot into good enough shape that he was able to take a load of men all the way to Bergen, Norway, safely.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the various violent enmities Buchheim has managed to accrue to him in the course of his long and contentious life, but you're absolutely right, Admiral Topp defends him, and Buchheim's friendship with Lehmann-Willenbrock endured until the latter's death in 1986.

There seem to have been some exceptionally vivid personalities in the Kriegsmarine!

Hope this is a help,
Meg</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Buchheim Dave Prucha 07/04/2003 06:59PM
Re: Buchheim Meg Rosenfeld 07/05/2003 01:14AM
Re: Buchheim Dave Prucha 07/05/2003 05:42PM
Re: Buchheim Meg Rosenfeld 07/06/2003 01:47AM
Re: Buchheim Bill Forsythe 07/08/2003 11:23AM
Re: Buchheim Meg Rosenfeld 07/08/2003 01:17PM
Re: Buchheim Meg Rosenfeld 07/06/2003 01:50AM
Re: Buchheim Dave Prucha 08/07/2003 12:54AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.