Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Crash Dive (1943)
Posted by: ROBERT M. ()
Date: August 17, 2003 12:22AM

<HTML>Daryl:

In the DAS BOOT burning vessel scene, the Kaleun backs his boat away from the scene in apparent guilt.........

Where did you get the idea that the "huge" subs were made of wood? All subs shown in that 1943 low-budget production were actual U.S. Navy submarines operating out of the submarine base at Groton , CT

What were the various models of U-96 (DAS BOOT) made of? There never was a full size U-boat available for filming in 1981, so several different scale models were constructed after copying the Type VII submarine displayed at Kiel. The diving and surfacing shots and the gunnery and air attacks on the boat--which occur in the Strait of Gibraltar but were filmed on Lake Constance--were shot using a diesel-powered 1:6 scale model, whose pilot had to wear diving gear.

DAS BOOT, regarded as one of the most expensive German pictures, cost 125 million Deutschmarks at the time and provided jobs for 250 employees for many months. Approximately 250,000 meters of film were exposed over a period of two years, and large amounts were spent on publicity in the 50 countries where the picture was shown.

You have to give the "CRASH DIVE" more credit, as it won the Academy Award
for special effects, the film's main asset. The submarine action scenes were sopposed to have taken place near the coast in the North Atlantic around Iceland.

The scenes filmed at the Submarine Base in Groton were real. I could list at least 35 "glitches" that appeared in "Crash Dive", but I won't enumerate them at this time, however, I've enumerated many more from DAS BOOT elsewhere in the past on this forum. You should read "Filming DAS BOOT" a 6-page document by Capt. Hans-Joachim Krug who was an advisor during the filming.

Just thought you would appreciate my comments; it's all in the eye of the beholder, yolu see.

ROBERT M.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Crash Dive (1943) Daryl Carpenter 08/16/2003 06:48PM
Re: Crash Dive (1943) ROBERT M. 08/17/2003 12:22AM
Re: Crash Dive (1943) Dave 08/18/2003 12:37PM
Re: Crash Dive (1943) ROBERT M. 08/19/2003 02:57AM
Re: Crash Dive (1943) ROBERT M. 08/17/2003 02:09AM
Re: Crash Dive (1943) RN Smith 08/18/2003 11:09AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.