Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Continuity Confusion
Posted by: J.T. McDaniel ()
Date: November 09, 2003 08:17AM

<HTML>Sitting here much too late at night, I happened to run across one of the older sub movies. There were times things started to get really confusing. The film was Hellcats of Navy, which was perhaps most notable for being the film where Ronald Reagan met his second wife. It certainly wasn't notable for the acting, and a number of the usual technical goofs showed up.

Some parts were okay. Most of the action was actually in the conning tower, though it looked a little more spacious than it should have. Reminiscent of another discussion, I'm inclined to put that down to choice of lenses, since some of the sequences looked like they had been shot in an actual conning tower. The plot left a lot to be desired, and the dialogue was sometimes so bad that you had to wonder if they actually lifted it from Admiral Nimitz's book. (Not very likely--I don't believe Nimitz included a love story.)

One thing, though, was thoroughly confusing. During the final part of the film the underwater model shots appeared to be an early-war Sargo class sub, while the same boat diving, clearly shot by a camera mounted on the stern of a real submarine, was obviously a Gato class with the "covered wagon" bridge cutdown. And, at the end of the film, and during segments filmed on the bridge, the boat turned into a Balao. Interesting how Hollywood can goof it up even when they get to use real boats.

J.T. McDaniel</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Continuity Confusion J.T. McDaniel 11/09/2003 08:17AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.