Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Was Das Boot partially inspired by "Alien&quo
Posted by: Daryl Carpenter ()
Date: February 06, 2004 07:26PM

<HTML>Put your straightjackets away and bear with me for a few minutes. I'm sure no one quite bought it when I said that U-571 was a rip-off of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan". But now I'm starting to think that Das Boot was at least partially inspired by Ridley Scott's Alien. Put away the rope, here's a dozen similarities between Das Boot and Alien:
-Both take place mostly in small, dark, wet and grimy places
-Both have innovative lighting and clever uses of condensation, smoke, dry ice, etc.
-Both movies strive for realism (Alien a fictional "realism", obviously)
-Both movies exploit human fears of claustrophobia and inevitable death in an inescapable enviroment
-Both have long, drawn-out suspense sequences
-Both are mostly quiet, offset by sudden bursts of action
-Both have fast, jumpy tracking shots through cramped corridors
-Both use creepy, inexplicable sound effects to make the audience uneasy
-Both have a very similar color palette (brown, gray, black, white)
-Both have mostly unknown actors that later became well known
-Both were directed by relative newcomers, who later made it big in Hollywood
-Both effectively destroyed long-set cliches (invincable German submarines; heroic space travelers)
-Both are the high standards of their respective genres (sci-fi horror; submarine flicks) and have been the source of ineffectual rip-offs.
Am I just a little nuts, or am I on to something?
(Humor option): Both movies have scenes where a primary character suffers from serious indigestion.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien&quo Daryl Carpenter 02/06/2004 07:26PM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien Wiljan bakers 02/07/2004 08:39AM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien Caroline 02/07/2004 09:30AM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien George Roumbos 02/10/2004 12:10AM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by &quot;Alien Elias Ekonomou 02/15/2004 01:23PM
Re: Was Das Boot partially inspired by Daryl Carpenter 02/16/2004 05:17PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.