Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
At last!
Posted by: David W ()
Date: October 17, 2004 01:25PM

At last I have managed to get the complete series of Das Boot on VHS! Shout hooray!

Just a couple of points about the translation. I note that for all the faults of the dubbed version, it does seem to get some things more accurate that the subtitles. For example, when the First Lieutenant arrives at the bar he says something that the subtitles translate as "The boat is ready to sail", whereas the dubbed version has it as "The boat is cleared for sea". From my (admittedly very limited) German, the latter is correct. Nitpicking, perhaps, but there is a small but significant difference: "Ready to sail" implies that they have just finihsed loading, refuelling etc and are in a position to set out. "Cleared for sea", on the other hand, suggests that a higher authority has given them permission to sail. Anyone know which is correct?

The other point: the subtitles refer to the Captain on several occasions as "Lieutenant Commander [or Captain] Kaleun." Presumably this is just an error mistaking the abbreviation for 'Kapitänleutnant' for a name, since in the German they never refer to "Kapitänleutnant Kaleun".

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
At last! David W 10/17/2004 01:25PM
Re: At last! MCE 10/17/2004 02:14PM
Re: At last! Volker Erich Kummrow 10/17/2004 04:03PM
Well, well David W. 10/18/2004 11:07AM
Re: At last! Volker Erich Kummrow 11/01/2004 03:32PM
Re: At last! David W. 11/04/2004 01:32PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.