HMS Ettrick (K 254)
Frigate of the River class
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Built by||John Crown & Sons Ltd. (Sunderland, U.K) : Parsons|
|Ordered||1 Jun 1941|
|Laid down||31 Dec 1941|
|Launched||25 Feb 1943|
|Commissioned||11 Jul 1943|
This was one of the few turbine engined River-class frigates.
Transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy on 29 January 1944.
|Career notes||To the Royal Canadian Navy as Ettrick|
Commands listed for HMS Ettrick (K 254)
Please note that we're still working on this section.
|1||A/Lt.Cdr. Joseph Eric Woolfenden, RD, RNR||24 May 1943||30 Dec 1943|
|2||T/A/Lt.Cdr. Nicholas John Turney Monsarrat, RNVR||30 Dec 1943||29 Jan 1944|
|3||Lt.Cdr. William Horace Clifton Wood-Roe, RD, RNR||27 May 1945||Aug 1945|
|4||T/A/Lt.Cdr. Reginald Frederick Pembry, RNR||1 Aug 1945||late 1945|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Ettrick include:
17 Aug 1943
Combined convoy WS 33 / KMF 22.
This convoy was assembled off Oversay on 18 August 1943.
On assembly the combined convoy was made up of the following (troop) transports; Antenor (British, 11174 GRT, built 1925), Arundel Castle (British, 19118 GRT, built 1921), Boissevain (Dutch, 14134 GRT, built 1937), Cameronia (British, 19297 GRT, built 1920), Duchess of Bedford (British, 20123 GRT, built 1928), Duchess of Richmond (British, 20022 GRT, built 1928), Durban Castle (British, 17388 GRT, built 1938), Empress of Australia (British, 21833 GRT, built 1914), Glenartney (British, 9795 GRT, built 1940), Indrapoera (Dutch, 10825 GRT, built 1925), Johan de Witt (Dutch, 10474 GRT, built 1920), Marnix van St. Aldegonde (Dutch, 19355 GRT, built 1930), Monarch of Bermuda (British, 22424 GRT, built 1931), Orduna (British, 15507 GRT, built 1914), Ormonde (British, 14982 GRT, built 1917), Otranto (British, 20026 GRT, built 1925) and Tegelberg (British, 14150 GRT, built 1937).
The convoy was escorted by the escort carrier HMS Hunter (Capt. H.H. McWilliam, RN), heavy cruiser HMAS Shropshire (Capt. J.A. Collins, CB, RAN), destroyer HMS Wrestler (Lt. R.W.B. Lacon, DSC, RN), sloops HMS Weston (Lt.Cdr. E. Gleave, RNR), HMS Chanticleer (Lt.Cdr. R.H. Bristowe, DSO, RN), HMIS Narbada (A/Cdr. A.W. Beeton, RIN), cutter HMS Totland (T/A/Lt.Cdr. H.E. Tourtel, RNR) and the frigates HMS Barle (Lt.Cdr. A.H. Davies, RNVR), HMS Ettrick (Lt.Cdr. J.E. Woolfenden, RD, RNR) and HMS Usk (Lt.Cdr. R.M. Pattinson, DSC, RNR).
The AA cruiser HMS Charybdis (Capt. G.A.W. Voelcker, RN) joined the convoy around 0955B/20.
HMS Charybdis parted company with the convoy around 2210B/21 and proceeded to Gibraltar arriving there on 22 August.
The entire combined convoy arrived at Gibraltar on 24 August 1943.
From Gibraltar the convoys continued on as KMF 22 and WS 33.
16 Oct 1943
HMS H 50 (Lt. J.C. Varley, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Lough Foyle with HMS Wild Goose (A/Cdr. D.E.G. Wemyss, RN), HMS Starling (Capt. F.W. Walker, CB, DSO and Bar, RN), HMS Ettrick (Lt.Cdr. J.E. Woolfenden, RD, RNR), HMS Pennywort (A/Lt.Cdr. O.G. Stuart, RCNVR) and HMCS Assiniboine (A/Lt.Cdr. R.P. Welland, DSC, RCN). (1)
25 Nov 1943
HMS Tradewind (Lt.Cdr. S.L.C. Maydon, DSO and Bar, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Larne with HMS Ettrick (Lt.Cdr. J.E. Woolfenden, RD, RNR) and HMCS Galt (T/Lt. A.M. Kirkpatrick, RCNVR). (2)
6 Jan 1944
HrMs O 10 (Lt.Cdr. A. van Altena, RNN(R)) participated in A/S exercises off Lough Foyle together with HMS Kenilworth Castle (Lt. J.J.Allon, RNR) and HMS Ettrick (T/A/Lt.Cdr. N.J.T. Monsarrat, RNVR). (3)
7 Jan 1944
HrMs O 10 (Lt.Cdr. A. van Altena, RNN(R)) participated in A/S exercises off Lough Foyle together with HMS Ettrick (T/A/Lt.Cdr. N.J.T. Monsarrat, RNVR), HMCS Galt (T/Lt. A.M. Kirkpatrick, RCNVR), HMS Kenilworth Castle (Lt. J.J.Allon, RNR), HMS Berkeley Castle (T/Lt. F.A. Darrah, RNVR). (3)
- ADM 173/17833
- ADM 173/18250
- File 2.12.03.6384 (Dutch Archives, The Hague, Netherlands)
ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.