Allied Warships

HMIS Parvati (4.179)

Auxiliary patrol vessel

NavyThe Royal Indian Navy
TypeAuxiliary patrol vessel
Class[No specific class] 
Pennant4.179 
Built byGrangemouth Dry Dock Co. (Grangemouth, Scotland) 
Ordered 
Laid down 
Launched13 Sep 1927 
Commissioned21 Nov 1939 
Lost30 Apr 1941 
Loss position13° 11'N, 42° 54'E
History

Completed in November 1927 as passenger/cargo vessel.
Displacement: 1542 tons.
Dimensions: 76.2 x 11.6 feet.

Requisitioned by the RIN on 29 October 1939.
Mined in the Red Sea, north-east of Assab in position 13º11'N, 42º54'E. One officer and twelve ratings were killed. 

Commands listed for HMIS Parvati (4.179)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

CommanderFromTo
1H A Romer, RINVR20 Dec 19397 Jan 1940
2D G C Courtenay, RINVR7 Jan 1940Oct 40 ?
3H A Romer, RINVROct 40 ?21 Dec 1940
4Lt. Hajee Mohammed Siddiq Choudry, RIN21 Dec 194030 Apr 1941

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Parvati include:


14 Mar 1941

Operation 'Appearance'.

Invasion of occupied British Somaliland.

In the late afternoon of 14 March 1941 the first group of warships; the British destroyer HMS Kandahar (Cdr. W.G.A. Robson, RN), armed boarding vessels HMS Chakdina (Lt.Cdr. W.R. Hickey, RNR), HMS Chantala (Lt.Cdr.(Retd.) C.E.I. Gibbs, RN), patrol vessels HMIS Netravati (Lt. D.A. MacDonald, RIN), HMIS Parvati (Lt. H.M.S. Choudry, RIN) and the cargo ships Beaconsfield (British, 4635 GRT, built 1938) and Tuna (British, 662 GRT, built 1907), carrying troops and towing three tugs and six lighters left Aden for the coast of British Somaliland.

Shortly after leaving however there was a problem with a tow which parted and the rope ending up in a propeller. It was decided that it would take to long to clear and delays loomed. HMS Kandahar then left the tugs and lighters to be towed by the cargo ships and in the afternoon of the 15th HMS Shoreham (Cdr. G.P. Claridge, RN) was sent out to assist.

Also in the afternoon of the 15th a second group of warships left Aden, these were the light cruisers HMS Glasgow (Capt. H. Hickling, RN), HMS Caledon (Capt. C.P. Clarke, RN) and the destroyer HMS Kingston (Lt.Cdr. P. Somerville, DSO, DSC, RN). They were loaded with troops. They were to make rendez-vous with the first group.

By 0100/16 the forces were split up as follows; HMS Glasgow, HMS Caledon, HMS Chantala, HMS Chakdina, HMIS Netravati, HMIS Parvati were to land their troop to the west of the Berbera lighthouse while HMS Kandahar and HMS Kingston were to land commando troops to the east of the lighthouse.

At 0358 hours the gap in the reef to the western beach was found and 0417 hours HMS Glasgow opened fire with her 4" guns and pompoms after which the landing forces went in.

The gap in the reef to the eastern beach had already been found at 0330 hours and the landing zone was bombarded for 10 minutes from 0425 hours by HMS Kandahar following which the commandoes were landed by HMS Kingston.

The landing on both beaches were succesful.

The town of Berbera was captured around mid-morning of the 16th. More troops were then landed as by now the first group had now also arrived.


Return to the Allied Warships section