Allied Warships

HMS Black Swan (L 57 / U 57)

Sloop of the Black Swan class

NavyThe Royal Navy
TypeSloop
ClassBlack Swan 
PennantL 57 / U 57 
Built byYarrow Shipbuilders Ltd. (Scotstoun, Scotland) 
Ordered1 Jan 1938 
Laid down20 Jun 1938 
Launched7 Jul 1939 
Commissioned27 Jan 1940 
End service 
History

Scrapped 13 September 1956.

 

Commands listed for HMS Black Swan (L 57 / U 57)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

CommanderFromTo
1Capt. Albert Lawrence Poland, DSC, RN15 Sep 193925 Oct 1940
2Cdr. Harold Pitcairn Henderson, RN25 Oct 1940Nov/Dec 40
3Lt. George Henry Murray, RNVRNov/Dec 4026 Apr 1941
4Cdr. Thomas Arthur Charles Pakenham, RN26 Apr 19415 Mar 1943
5Lt.Cdr. (retired) Rodney Charles Vesey Thomson, RN5 Mar 194326 Mar 1945
6Lt.Cdr. Alexander Douglas Colin Inglis, RN26 Mar 19451 Oct 1946

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Black Swan include:


1 Nov 1940
HMS Black Swan (Cdr. H.P. Henderson, RN) is damaged by a mine in the Firth of Forth. Repairs at Dundee took till mid-April.

25 Oct 1942
HMS Black Swan (Cdr. T.A.C. Pakenham, RN) picks up 34 survivors from the British merchant Empire Star that was torpedoed and sunk by German U-boat U-615 two days earlier north of the Azores in position 48°14'N, 26°22'W. The sloop rescued 27 more survivors from the same ship the next day and landed the survivors in Liverpool on 30 October.

2 Apr 1943
German U-boat U-124 was sunk west of Oporto, in position 41°02'N, 15°39'W, by depth charges from the British corvette HMS Stonecrop (Lt.Cdr. J.P. Smythe, RNR) and the British sloop HMS Black Swan (Lt.Cdr. R.C.V. Thomson, RN).

1 Nov 1943
HrMs O 9 (Lt. J.B.M.J. Maas, RNN) participated in A/S exercises off Tobermory together with HMS Black Swan (Lt.Cdr. (retired) R.C.V. Thomson, RN) and HMS Watchman (Lt.Cdr. G.H.D. Williams, RN). (1)

Sources

  1. File 2.12.03.6372 (Dutch Archives, The Hague, Netherlands)

Return to the Allied Warships section