HMS Maidstone (F 44)
Submarine Depot Ship of the Maidstone class
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Type||Submarine Depot Ship|
|Built by||John Brown Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd. (Clydebank, Scotland)|
|Laid down||17 Aug 1936|
|Launched||21 Oct 1937|
|Commissioned||5 May 1938|
Her equipment included a foundry, coppersmiths, plumbers and carpenters work shops. Heavy and light machine shops, electrical and torpedo repair shops and plants for charging submarine batteries. Designed for looking after 9 operational submarines, and capable of supplying over 100 torpedoes and a similar number of mines when required. Besides large workshops, there are repair facilities onboard for all material in the attached submarines and extensive diving and salvage equipment is carried. There were steam laundries, cinema, hospital. chapel. 2 canteens, bakery, barber shop, fully equipt operating theatre and dental surgery.
In September 1939 Maidstone was Depot Ship to the ten submarines of the 1st Submarine Flotilla. In March 1941 she went to Gibraltar. From November 1942 Maidstone was based at Algiers Harbour now the main Allied base in the Mediterranean. In November 1943 she went to the Eastern Fleet. In september 1944 Maidstone and the 8th Submarine Flotilla were transferred from Ceylon to Freemantle in Western Australia to operate in Pacific waters. Late 1945 Maidstone left Fremantle, and en-route to UK the submarine depot ship was docked in the Selborne dry dock at Simonstown, South Africa. Whilst on passage, she was diverted to Macassar to pick up 400 British naval prisoners of war from HMS Exeter, HMS Encounter and HMS Stronghold. In November she arrived at Portsmouth.
1946 Maidstone became mother to the 2nd and 7th, Submarine Flotilla. The 2nd Flotilla comprised operational boats, the latter was specifically a trials and training squadron. Maidstone had a semi-permanent mooring off Monkey Island (Portland) but often put to sea with her brood. In 1951 Maidstone called briefly at Corunna to land a sick rating, but this was not classified as an official visit, although it was the first time a British ship had entered a Spanish harbour since the Spanish Civil War. On 16 June 1955 the submarine HMS Sidon sank in Portland harbour alongside Maidstone twenty minutes after an internal explosion had occurred in the forward torpedo compartment. 13 men lost their lives. A week later, the submarine was raised and the accident was found to be caused by an explosion of the high-test peroxide fuel used in a torpedo. In 1956 Maidstone was the Flag Ship of the C in C Home Fleet. In September 1957, the Russians protested when Maidstone accompanied by the training aircraft carrier HMS Ocean visited Helsinki. In 1959 Maidstone received an extensive refit, allowing her to accommodate nuclear submarines, the 2nd Flotilla was then moved to Devonport. In October 1969 Maidstone was restored and re-commissioned as an accommodation ship for 2,000 troops and sent to Belfast. She arrived under tow at Belfast to serve as barracks for the increased security forces in the area, and for a time as a prison ship for detainees. She retained a small party of naval ship-keepers onboard. On 23 May 1978 Maidstone was broken up for scrap at Rosyth.
Commands listed for HMS Maidstone (F 44)
Please note that we're still working on this section.
|1||Capt. Philip Ruck-Keene, RN||4 Jan 1938||14 Nov 1939|
|2||A/Capt. Edward Henry Longsdon, RN||20 Nov 1939||27 May 1940|
|3||Capt. Philip Ruck-Keene, RN||27 May 1940||13 Aug 1940|
|4||Capt. Hugh Meynell Cyril Ionides, RN||14 Aug 1940||9 Sep 1940|
|5||Capt. Oliver Loudon Gordon, RN||25 Sep 1940||10 Mar 1941|
|6||Capt. George Arthur Wallis Voelcker, RN||10 Mar 1941||26 Jun 1942|
|7||A/Capt. George Barney Hamley Fawkes, RN||5 Jul 1942||12 Mar 1944|
|8||Capt. Lancelot Milman Shadwell, RN||12 Mar 1944||Jan 1946|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Maidstone include:
- ADM 173/18905
- ADM 173/20352
ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.