Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
A Question About Contests and Accuracy
Posted by: Einsamer Wolf ()
Date: July 06, 2003 01:25PM

SALUT!
I have not (yet) entered a model in a contest. However, looking at some pictures taken from IPMS Nationals, I am wondering the degree to which historical accuracy, or lack thereof, can preclude an otherwise well-executed model from further consideration. My question is inspired from a picture I saw of a Type IX U Boat, beautifully painted, well modelled, but painted with an anti=fouling red hull--perhaps the single most egregious error one can make in modelling a U Boat. (It is accessible via modelwarships.com) In my mind, a mistake like that cannot be more glaring. In some popular media, the portrayal of U Boats with the anti-fouling red seems ever prevalent. But even a cursory inquiry online or elsewhere would instruct one about the historically accurate color schemes. In my mind, painting a U Boat in anti fouling red is worse than builing a late Tiger without zimmerit, for example.
With that said, would it be possible for a model to place notwithstanding such a cardinal sin? Please note that I am not talking about arcane, subtle errors (on another forum one fellow protested that a model of a Stug III placed notwithstanding the fact that it was not equipped with the historically accurate engine, as the engine it was equipped with was only installed on slightly later models of the Stug III), or inaccuracies inherited in the kit(like the Hornet bow on the Trumpeter kit) that are difficult to correct and reveal themselves only upon close inspection. My questions seeks to focus on open and obvious errors that anyone with even minimal general knowledge about that subject would spot right away. Like the lack of zimmerit on a late Tiger or anti-fouling red on a u-boat.

Einsamer Wolf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
A Question About Contests and Accuracy Einsamer Wolf 07/06/2003 01:25PM
Re: A Question About Contests and Accuracy Wiljan Bakers 07/06/2003 08:21PM
Re: A Question About Contests and Accuracy Grant Goodale 07/06/2003 09:49PM
Re: A Question About Contests and Accuracy Einsamer Wolf 07/07/2003 01:01AM
Re: A Question About Contests and Accuracy Grant Goodale 07/07/2003 09:16PM
Re: A Question About Contests and Accuracy Einsamer Wolf 07/08/2003 05:51AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.