Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Dutch origin of the schnorchel
Posted by: Mark C. Jones ()
Date: June 18, 2002 09:43AM

I am beginning to research the Dutch origin of the schnorchel. While it appears that an Italian naval engineer was the first (1920s) to actually design a schnorchel, the Italian Navy chose not to develop and install the device.

The Royal Netherlands Navy actually installed a working schnorchel on the last two submarine classes built before the war (1937-1940), O-19 (minelaying) and O-21. Three of the O-21 class boats (O-25, O-26, O-27) were still incomplete in May 1940 and were captured by the German occupiers. In 1943 the Kriegsmarine developed its own schnorchel using the captured Dutch version as a starting point.

Can any reader of this forum provide me with any information, especially citations for published sources, about how the Germans adapted the Dutch schnorchel? I can read some German and also a bit of Dutch, so citations in those languages are also welcome. I appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Mark C. Jones
majones@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Dutch origin of the schnorchel Mark C. Jones 06/18/2002 09:43AM
Re: Dutch origin of the schnorchel Gerard HERMANS 06/21/2002 09:39PM
Walter and the snorkel SuperKraut 06/24/2002 11:20AM
Re: Dutch origin of the schnorchel Steve Cooper 07/09/2002 02:31PM
Re: Dutch origin of the schnorchel Rainer Bruns 07/17/2002 02:52PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.