Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Dutch origin of the schnorchel
Posted by: Gerard HERMANS ()
Date: June 21, 2002 09:39PM

Hi Marc,

to my knowledge, information on schnorchel design are scarce and widespread, although mentioned in several sources :
1. Prof. Gabler's book Submarine Design, Bernard&Graefe Verlag, Koblenz 1986, ISBN 3-7637-0124-9 confirms your story (p. 72 - 80, showing also some design aspects
2.Eberhard Rossler's book, Geschichte des deutschen Ubootbaus Band2, Bernard&Graefe Verlag, Koblenz 1986, ISBN 3-7637-5802-8 also confirms this (p. 328 - 338), stating that for the German designs, the idea was taken up by professor Walter (later designer of the Walter-Uboote using hydrogen peroxide) in the srping of '43. After consulting with donitz, apparently the design was carried out in Kiel by some of Walter's group : Gabler and Heep. The few pages in this book contain excerpts from letters between Donitz and Walter, which is probably what you are looking for, initial design variants and which Uboats were initially equipped.
3.a dutch book, titled ' Wegduiken' ' De Nederlandse Onderzeedienst 1906 - 1966' , a limit print by the dutch submarine service published by the ' Zuid-Hollandse Uitgevers Maatschappij', no ISBN number (didn't exist yet !) has a few pages describing the existance and a picture of a snorting O21 in 1940.

There are a number of drawings on schnorchels in different books.

When visiting the Bunderarchiv records in Freiburg (Germany) in ' 87, my colleague ' Uboot-buff' and I discovered a 17 page post-war report (dated 30.4.1947) on schnorchel design, development and experiences written by Dipl. Ing. H. Oelfken, a well known German submarine designer addressing technical and operational aspects, including a patent application for a streamlined schnorchel, dated 18.4.'45 .

If this would be of any interest I could try to get you more information.

best regards,

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Dutch origin of the schnorchel Mark C. Jones 06/18/2002 09:43AM
Re: Dutch origin of the schnorchel Gerard HERMANS 06/21/2002 09:39PM
Walter and the snorkel SuperKraut 06/24/2002 11:20AM
Re: Dutch origin of the schnorchel Steve Cooper 07/09/2002 02:31PM
Re: Dutch origin of the schnorchel Rainer Bruns 07/17/2002 02:52PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.