Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: schussmeldung
Posted by: Leif... ()
Date: January 28, 2003 06:32PM

A little more digging in the notes I had since I wrote my Vorhaltrechner simulator a while back gave that gamma = 100 actually is Angle on bow.

I tested my simulator with the numbers you stated:
Bearing 44 degrees
Angle on Bow 100 degrees
Distance 2200m
Target speed 9 knots
Torpedo speed 30 knots (common electric torpedo speed)

My simulator computed the firing solution to be 63 degrees. That would be how much the torpedo should turn to the right to hit the target. Their torpedo course of 66 means that either they wanted to hit roughly 110 meter in front of the target or that they waited app. 20 seconds before firing. If I run my simulation with autotracking it takes about 20 seconds before the firing solution shows 66 degrees.

beta as a side note came out as 17 degrees. The 16 number you stated is achieved if I use a torpedo speed of 32 knots, although that gives a fire solution of 62 degrees…

Anyway the bearing is entered into a real vorhaltrechner as a number between 0-360 which quite strongly suggest that the target where on the starboard side.

Leif…

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
schussmeldung Jan Berghuis 01/28/2003 11:56AM
Re: schussmeldung Leif... 01/28/2003 02:22PM
Re: schussmeldung Leif... 01/28/2003 06:32PM
Re: schussmeldung Mikko 02/11/2003 10:15AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.