Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: New to this forum
Posted by: Eric ()
Date: January 03, 2006 07:36PM

Alan,

I'd like to add my welcome.

I joined the forum here two or three years ago while investigating a family member that was lost in the Caribbean about two weeks before your Granfather's ship was hit.

Thanks to the info from Brian and Robert you have the basic facts and figures. If you decide to dig a little deeper (like I did)you may be surprised at how much detail you can uncover.

A great place to start is here:
[www.ubootwaffe.net]

The links there will provide the contact info you need to order any surviving allied reports from the National Archives, as well as the U-boats war diary (KTcool smiley, and the torpedo report(s) from Germany. I have an English version of the torpedo report and a key to help explain what it all means (99% anyway).

I'm actually not surprised at the favorable treatment, and despite persistent and inaccurate stories, survivors were treated amazingly well. If you go the the "Aricles" section from the top tool bar, and scroll down to "Treatment of Merchant Ship Survivors by U-boat Crews 1939 - 1945 by Ken Dunn - 19 Jun, 2003" you will see a great article from a mentor of mine, who provided most of the research sources as well.

Best of luck in your search,

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
New to this forum Alan Hawthorne 01/02/2006 04:54AM
Re: New to this forum Brian Corijn 01/02/2006 05:18AM
Re: New to this forum ROBERT M. 01/02/2006 05:46AM
Re: New to this forum Eric 01/03/2006 07:36PM
Re: New to this forum Gerard Heimann 01/03/2006 10:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.