Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: HMS Rorqual
Posted by: BrianV ()
Date: April 09, 2006 07:33PM

Hi Platon,
I had neglected to look under the heading of captured & renamed - knowing the German penchant for retaining original names.
There is a contention on some quarters that Cittá di Trapani could have been torpedoed by HMS Unrivalled but I have no proof that this is a possibility.
As far the attacker of Rorqual: Italian subs had strict orders to limit their salvoes to 2 torpedoes, even on very valuable targets, due to the dearth of raw materials for their construction and high price(!). It is unlikely an Italian boat would have fired 4 at a sub, moreover, since there were no targets in the area for Axis boats, it is strange that a sub was operating there at a high risk to herself from the passing Axis convoys. Did this attack really happen? Mediterranean eels have been responsible for causing phosphorescence which was mistaken for torpedoes before, it would not surprise me if the entire episode was an allucination (in good faith of course - working on a minelaying sub requires nerves of steel).
Regards, Brian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMS Rorqual BrianV 04/09/2006 04:26AM
Re: HMS Rorqual Platon Alexiades 04/09/2006 03:10PM
Re: HMS Rorqual BrianV 04/09/2006 07:33PM
Re: HMS Rorqual Platon Alexiades 04/09/2006 10:10PM
Re:Previous minefield BrianV 04/09/2006 09:10PM
Re:Previous minefield Platon Alexiades 04/09/2006 10:19PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.