Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: HMCS Brandon K149
Posted by: Cliff. Johnston ()
Date: May 09, 2006 10:02PM

Mark,

Let me know what you need for the image of the crew, and I'll be glad to help out. The only problem that I have is that I do not have the names for any of the crew, save my father... Yes, he was the ship's electrician and a petty officer. Later he was one of two men based in Halifax who set the cypher machines on board the ships as they formed convoys. It was at that time that he was tapped for the Enigma mission.

I recall one story that he told me about setting out in a storm from Londonderry. The HMCS Brandon went full steam ahead for 3 days. The storm was so bad that they could still see the shore lights at the end of those 3 days. He had nothing good to say about the corvette in foul weather. He said that everyone got sick, no matter how seasoned they were. He had been sailing since his early childhood on Lake Ontario. He said that he got deathly ill on that blow.

Another incident involved the dropping of depth charges off the shore of the U.S.. Evidently they did drop south a bit on convoy duty or something. It was at night. They had a U-boat sighting, dropped depth charges and felt that they had sunk it, but they couldn't circle back and turn on the lights to confirm the kill - too risky. They could see debris and an oil slick in the moon light though. He talked about it quite grimly. He took no pleasure in telling me about it.

Cliff.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMCS Brandon K149 Cliff. Johnston 05/07/2006 04:21PM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Mark Walters 05/08/2006 10:25PM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Cliff. Johnston 05/09/2006 10:02PM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Mark Walters 05/10/2006 11:48AM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Cliff. Johnston 05/10/2006 04:48PM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Mark Walters 05/10/2006 11:21PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.