Warship forum  
A forum for the Allied Warships section. 
Re: HMCS Brandon K149
Posted by: Cliff. Johnston ()
Date: May 10, 2006 04:48PM

The saddest, gut wrenching story that Dad told me was when U-boats torpedoed some freighters in their convoy at night. He could hear the screams for help of the injured and drowning sailors. They threw life preservers over the side "just in case" as they went by, but they could do no more. Standing orders did not permit them to circle back, turn on their lights and pick up survivors. That would only have given the U-boats more and better targets for their torpedoes. Dad said that he had nightmares about the men's screams for years after that.

His brother, Orville "Bud" Johnston, was also in the RCNVR but served on a different ship - I don't know which one just yet. It was a custom that on Christmas Day the youngest crew member would be "honourary captain" of the vessel for the day. The youngest that particular year had fudged his age when he signed up. He was underage. Everyone knew it too and kept an eye out for him. He was so personable that every crew member liked him - that doesn't always happen aboard ships. On Christmas Eve a storm blew up. As they were walking from one end of the ship to another topside, a huge wave came out of nowhere and swept the ship's deck. Uncle Bud said that he hung onto a safety rope for dear life as the wave went right over his head. Unfortunately the youngest lad who was about 8 feet in front of him was swept overboard and lost at sea. There was no chance to rescue him in the storm as he "just disappeared". Uncle Bud said that a palour blanketed the entire crew that Christmas Day. They said that it was the saddest day of their lives. This was the only time that my Uncle Bud talked about his service, and only because I had asked him on that day. As luck would have it, it was Christmas too. His closing comment was that he didn't like to talk about the war as it had too many sad memories for him. I never asked him again about his naval service.

One characteristic that I have noticed over the years is that men who have served their country and been in harm's way very seldom talk about the actions that they have been in.

Cliff.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMCS Brandon K149 Cliff. Johnston 05/07/2006 04:21PM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Mark Walters 05/08/2006 10:25PM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Cliff. Johnston 05/09/2006 10:02PM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Mark Walters 05/10/2006 11:48AM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Cliff. Johnston 05/10/2006 04:48PM
Re: HMCS Brandon K149 Mark Walters 05/10/2006 11:21PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.