WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: USS New York v. U-Boat
Posted by: Michael Lowrey ()
Date: January 02, 2004 01:34AM

<HTML>Joe,

My bad -- I misread what you wrote and I missed the Pentland Forth aspect. The standard routing throughout the war was either side of the Orkneys (Fair Island Passage or east and north of the Orkneys), which is, of course, what made the Northern Barrage effective. I don't know if this changed very late in the war. I doubt it, but I'll double check the plots in some very late war KTBs to see.

I have also look at the patrol length issue -- if it's any boat it would have to be UB 113. All the other boats that are are typically listed as lost/possibly lost in the North Barrage or related concepts (U 92, U 102, U 156, UB 104, UB 127, UB 83, UB 123) would have been lost before October 14. The typical UBIII patrol length around Scotland is +/- a month and never over about 35 days. UB 113 would be near the upper limit of that where she lost on October 14 (her 30th day at sea).

Best wishes.

Michael</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
USS New York v. U-Boat Joe Brennan 01/01/2004 05:01PM
Re: USS New York v. U-Boat Michael Lowrey 01/01/2004 08:32PM
Re: USS New York v. U-Boat Joe Brennan 01/02/2004 12:02AM
Re: USS New York v. U-Boat Michael Lowrey 01/02/2004 01:34AM
Re: USS New York v. U-Boat Michael Lowrey 01/02/2004 01:55AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.