WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island?
Posted by: Bill Ramsay ()
Date: March 11, 2004 02:56AM

<HTML>Everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies! It's heartwarming to see so much interest in these sorts of topics!

My grandfather had commented further: namely, the mine exploded off the port boiler room, and per his comments, there were only 15 men in the port boiler room who were lost. The ship went down in 15 minutes, he'd said. Given some of the horrific losses of life (some mentioned, like, I think, Bouvet, also I think Leon Gambetta) of hundreds of lives in 15 minute sinkings, the US sailors were very lucky.

My grandfather was a gunner's mate on the starboard aft 6" gun. Partly as a "test", at times I'd go over to his house and ask him about particulars of his ship. I'd have along reprints of the Jane's Fighting ships of that era, and like I'd ask him, "how much coal did she carry?" He'd reply "950 tons" and I'd look in Jane's, and yep! 950 tons!

Getting back to that U Cruiser U 156 - does anybody recall Reader's Digest stories of a U Cruiser in US waters in July 1918 or so? Casually shelling sites on the Massachusetts and / or Rhode Island coasts? I know such a story was published, but I have forgotten particulars. Apparently, the U boat # was named, as well as the commanding officer. The boat's object was to "raise Cain" as much as possible, more US warship over here, fewer over there.

On the sabotage story, yes, I've heard of some found in Moscow archives. Try to picture, please, how bulky explosives would be carried into the engine room, where somebody's new red nose would be noted on, and commented on. And wouldn't saboteurs want to "mine" the magazines, rather than an engine room? Better chance of destroying the ship, I'd think!

Also, regarding dockside WW1 saboteurs - the person I've heard the most about is German Naval Captain Franz von Papen (yes, the future German Chancellor). Their efforts apparently were quite not very effective, nor successful. In later life, Herr von Papen, I think many people didn't regard him as very effective then, either (he tried to keep Hitler from power in 1932-2). Herr von Papen was, I think, a sincere person. In his favor, he DID survive the terrible Nazi era, and lived to something like 95 yrs old, didn't he?

Based on the above, I'm very skeptical of the sabotage stories, both on published stories, and "if I had to do it, I'd ....." mental simulation.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Bill Ramsay</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? Bill Ramsay 03/09/2004 01:45AM
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? Michael Lowrey 03/09/2004 05:55AM
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? Simon 03/09/2004 08:01AM
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? Michael Lowrey 03/09/2004 03:29PM
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? ROBERT M. 03/21/2004 10:49PM
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? Yves D 03/09/2004 09:20PM
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? Simon 03/10/2004 08:11AM
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? Yves D 03/10/2004 07:07PM
Re: Which U Boat Sank USS San Diego off Fire Island? Bill Ramsay 03/11/2004 02:56AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.