WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: The tale of UB 107
Posted by: frank ()
Date: March 27, 2004 04:12AM

Hi Michael -

Many thanks indeed for a most full account of the UB107 saga, which puts all the angles on the mystery very clearly. It was particularly the English vessels involved that I was interested in, partly on behalf of my correspondent and partly because I`m intrigued as to how, in the various other accounts of the incident that I`ve tracked down, the Vanessa can be variously described as a trawler, a yacht and a destroyer, and the Calvia as the Calvi or the Calvis ! After all, we`re talking WW1, not ancient Greek history..........

Local maritime opinion here in Scarborough is that the UB107 managed to slip away despite being badly damaged, and used the tidal flow to start moving south, to founder finally off Flamborough Head.

Shall forward your account to my correspondent, with grateful thanks. I would imagine there is unlikely to be any more to add to it - and if the identity of the vessels involved is somewhat vague, the identity and decorations of the skipper of the Calvia are probably even more so !

Best regards

Frank

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HMT Calvia frank 03/25/2004 04:19PM
The tale of UB 107 Michael Lowrey 03/25/2004 04:52PM
Re: The tale of UB 107 frank 03/27/2004 04:12AM
Re: The tale of UB 107 Michael Lowrey 03/27/2004 10:17AM
Re: The tale of UB 107 frank 03/28/2004 02:12PM
Re: HMT Calvia Brian 03/27/2004 08:50PM
Re: HMT Calvia frank 03/28/2004 02:13PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.