WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Duches of Cornwall
Posted by: Eric ()
Date: July 13, 2004 02:13PM

Alex,

I thought I had a bit of luck finding the picture and specifications of the ship, but the history they list does not seem to match since a ship by this name, used as a minesweeper in WW1, about the same tonnage appears to have survived the war (unless the ship was raised after her sinking, which was apparently was done once later).

In case the history was not complete, here are links to the info I was able to find. I can't say for certain that this is the same ship (Ships names were recycled and changed frequently).

These links give info on the ship built in 1889 mentioned in the reply to your posting of the Great War Forum.

The first link provides fairly detailed specifications:
[portcities.hartlepool.gov.uk]
Scroll down to the "Duchess of Cornwall" and to the right you will see three icons which are Adobe PDF files (you can get the free reader on Adobe's site if you don't already have it). The first icon is a clean formatted copy of the following two which are photocopies of the original documents (page 1 and 2).

The second link is from another part of the same website, and it shows pictures:
[search.plimsoll.org]

If the links don't work let me know and I'll help you figure out how to get to them.

According to the info with the picture, she was sold to the admiratly in 1916, but served in the Med and the Aegean. I'm a novice at ships so I don't know if it was possible for the Royal Navy to have two ships in service with the same name at any given time (although they list 0102 as her minesweeper designation).

Hope this is more of a help than a hinderance.

Good luck in your investigation,

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Duches of Cornwall AlexSmart 07/11/2004 10:24PM
Re: Duches of Cornwall Brian 07/11/2004 11:42PM
Re: Duches of Cornwall AlexSmart 07/13/2004 12:10AM
Re: Duches of Cornwall Brian 07/13/2004 04:00AM
Re: Duches of Cornwall Yves D 07/13/2004 06:20AM
Re: Duches of Cornwall Yves D 07/13/2004 06:25AM
Re: Duches of Cornwall AlexSmart 07/13/2004 12:27PM
Re: Duches of Cornwall Eric 07/13/2004 02:13PM
Re: Duches of Cornwall Brian 07/13/2004 04:47PM
Re: Duches of Cornwall Eric 07/13/2004 05:48PM
Re: Duches of Cornwall JP 07/13/2004 09:02PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.